• Register Today It's free!

Bilstein!

navajoftw

Reaction score
City, State
McClellandtown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
I think I have made my decision. I am going to go with..

http://www.truckperformance.com/pro...cific/0/0/0/BILB46-1568/Mazda/1991/Navajo/4WD

and

http://www.truckperformance.com/pro...cific/0/0/0/BILB46-1569/Mazda/1991/Navajo/4WD

Opinions? Good decision?

Now to take the old ones out and put the new ones in, do I need any thing else, like bushings? I'm still learning, so bear with me. I still don't know what a majority of the acronyms mean that you guys use.

I am hoping this will be an easy job. I know the bolts may be hard to take out(stock shocks). If I wanted to get new bolts and nuts, what ones should I get?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The front shocks are easy, one nut on the top, one on the bottom, just turn the wheel away from the shock to get clearance, then you can just swap em out without lifting the truck, or removing the tire.
The back are a tiny bit more work, but not much. I have found its easiest to go ahead and drop the spare and get it out of the way. This will make things much more manuverable, but you dont have too.
There are two nuts and bolts on the top, per shock, and one big nut and bolt on the bottom. Install the top first, then release the pressure, (should be compressed with a peice of wire) and guide it down to the lower mount.
I would guess that they will come with new upper nuts and bolts, most do. It says in the item description that they come with new poly bushings, so you should be good to go.

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it.

You'll love the Bilsteins...I'm on my second set now, the first set lasted about 60,000...before, my X was eating front shocks up by 15,000.:thumbsup:

You'll love the Bilsteins...I'm on my second set now, the first set lasted about 60,000...before, my X was eating front shocks up by 15,000.:thumbsup:

Don't Bilsteins still have a lifetime warranty? I ran them in my stock X for 6 years and they were fantastik :thumbsup:

I've run Bilstein for about a year now. Superb shocks. They're plush, but firm. Never a harsh ride and handling is much improved. They were hard to get for me in Canada, but I'm glad I did.

I've been very happy with my Bilsteins. Definitely a harder ride for me, but the handling is just no comparison to the crappy stock shocks. Installation was easy on my '97. I recommend getting a little lift on the body (from the bumper or somewhere) with a floor jack to make it real easy. I struggled a bit until I thought about that. With the extension stretched out they just slide right in.

Don't Bilsteins still have a lifetime warranty? I ran them in my stock X for 6 years and they were fantastik :thumbsup:

Yes they do...my second set was free from Autozone.:)

Back