Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 112 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More spares to figure out where to store, then forget about where I left them.

I'm so bad about that. I know I have a fuel filter for the Explorer sitting in a Motorcraft box. Somewhere... I looked all over for it with no luck. As soon as I buy a new one, I'll find it.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I can relate. Its old age dudes

I can relate. Its old age dudes

I think its more having too much stuff that is going to be needed someday, and not enough space to store it all. I am looking into getting a second storage shed for car parts and a bunch of stuff from my Dad's workshop. He had a ton of old hand tools that I am keeping for no reason other than I like the old tools. I mean, I can't believe I lived all these years with wire dikes without a second set of small cutters on the side. I also have to find place to store a boat, but probably not before the end of the year.

This is old age, and a little luck. I replaced the rear shocks a few days ago. I had some very old Bilstein's that were a little too long for the way I wanted the shocks to mount (would bottom out when loaded for expedition type camping trips), and they had way too much rebound. The way I have them angled in didn't help with body roll and I wanted to move the upper mounts out (I have two different configurations for the upper shock mounts). I ordered four 5125 Bilstein's with 8.25" travel, thinking my old shocks were 9.25" travel shocks. When I pulled the old shocks off, I realized they are exactly the same travel shock (old age part). Luckily, the new shocks body is 1.5" shorter than the old shock body. I bolted them in and ended up with the extra shaft length I wanted. I went for a short drive around the neighborhood and body roll is greatly improved and the shocks are not nearly as harsh as the old shocks. great improvement.

I am not going to do anything else to the Explorer for a while, except install the Atlas II when it arrives. I need to drive it, wheel' it, and see how its doing.

Nice! I hoarded explorer parts for a while. Then I realized that I would rather let the pick and pull do the storing part and go buy them when I need them. So I sold them and/ or trashed them. Now if I only had a few of those really primo parts I could use them right now.

I kept the most of the body panels, entire wiring harnesses, all lights, grille, interior trim pieces, seat belts, side glass, engine, trans and transfer case from the donor car when I rebuilt the Explorer. It was in too good of a condition to toss, and they are getting hard to find out here. Sold trans and traded transfer case. Engine is sitting on a stand in my back yard waiting for me to decide if I want to go through it and swap, or do something else.

Old shocks
20181204_123515.jpg

New shocks
20190704_114118.jpg

upper cabinets people and overhead storage solutions! For all of your old truck parts storage needs I use craigslist and old upper kitchen cabinets
I still need a huge shed to store trans, engines, diffs, etc in but the small parts like spare computers and filters and such go in the cabinets.

171_021128_140000001.jpg

171_021128_150000002.jpg

That's cool, but my garage has cabinets in nearly every available space, and its full.

I understand that....every space we get, gets filled asap. Setting up this new shop I am trying to leave space for expansion

New shocks look nice, that gen I sure is clean and setup well :) I use zip ties to keep my shackles from coming apart too

I built a 2nd garage in the back. I'm already out of space along the walls. Now I'm storing things in the race trailer that I've never used for racing. It does make a great privacy screen and shed though... LOL

New shocks look nice, that gen I sure is clean and setup well :) I use zip ties to keep my shackles from coming apart too

That took me a minute to figure out.

UPS guy showed up today with some boxes, and one BIG, HEAVY box.
20190718_150324.jpg

It came with the oil, so now I have four extra quarts.
20190718_145330.jpg

Taaaa-Daaaaa!!
20190718_144546.jpg

Universal Shifter comes in about 100 pieces. Its very sturdy.
20190718_145301.jpg

The shifter mount is only about 3/4" wider than the single shifter I have now. It appears that it will fit flat on the trans hump next to the center console. Not sure about how much bend I can get out of those cables because they are very stiff. I will start the tear down probably next week. I am hoping the transfer case itself will bolt right up without anything in the way, but its huge. I think I have the first Explorer with a 700R4 adapted to a NP231 trans to an Atlas II so its uncharted territory.

Now the fun begins :D

holy crap balls I have dreamed of owning one of those for so many years!! Nice!!

Atlas 3.8:1 takes your truck from "pretty capable" to "holy crap its still climbing" kind of capable

Sad thing is I was at the junk yard one day in denver and the dude in front of me found an Atlas in a jeep and paid $60 plus core! I cannot complain too much through since we found some torque monster headers in the JY too.....and they were already unbolted from the engine!!!

How does someone junk a Jeep and let an Atlas go with it? Makes no sense. AA is really proud of their transfer cases, but when you get your hands on one, it makes more sense.

How does someone junk a Jeep and let an Atlas go with it? Makes no sense. AA is really proud of their transfer cases, but when you get your hands on one, it makes more sense.

People do crazy things, like trade in a fully built Navajo for Jeep:crazy:

I noticed the driver side wheel bearing loosened up. It is the same side I spun the washer and ruined the spindle, so I figured the bearing(s) got too much pre-load on them and should be replaced. I ordered a new set. Its for both sides, which is good because then I have a spare set. Today, I went to install the bearings and the outer race came out way too easy. I tapped the new race into place, and it went in way too easy. I can spin the race in the hub with my fingers. Re-installed the old race, same thing. Installed the other race from the other outer bearing from the set, same thing.

Does this mean the hub is shot?
If not, is there a way to fix it?

Edit: Looking on the old interweb, it appears the only permanent repair is to replace the hub. Best deal, again is at Bronco Graveyard. Another $75 plus shipping. Too bad its not the other side because that hub has an uneven seal surface.

Back