• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..I've got a few boxes of grinding and cutting wheels plus flap disc just itching to get to work on something..:hammer:

..Hopefully we can get Dave and Matt to chime in when would be good for them..

..When would be good timing for this party Brian?

..For some reading, there are a couple links in this thread..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157667&highlight=panhard

..and I can't find it but there was some really good info on the geometry etc. in one of Kevin's post after he ripped his panhard mount in Moab a couple of years ago..:dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
I am blushing like a little school girl.
Thanks for the support.:biggthump

Relax...I said I'd help...not buy you dinner. .:p:

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I wish FST had pushed my axle farther forward. I have had to trim a whole lot out of the rear of the fenders to make enough tire clearance and I'm "only" running 36s.

Where the fender normally mounts with two bolts, mine mounts with one, and it's trimmed right up to that single bolt.

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
I pushed my axle forward 3-4 inches. It works great that way. My 37"s clear the cab. If you haven't cut the axle yet you might talk with db1 aboutit. If i remember right he had some coilover clearance issues with the narrow axle.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I pushed my axle forward 3-4 inches. It works great that way. My 37"s clear the cab. If you haven't cut the axle yet you might talk with db1 aboutit. If i remember right he had some coilover clearance issues with the narrow axle.

db1's axle is forward one inch from stock so he could use the same pitman arm.
He had some clearance issues with the King 2.5" shocks. Switched to 2.0 Fox and problem went away.

How wide is your Waggy axle? And, could I get mine cut down to that width and use the waggy long side shaft? I am guessing the splines are different. I don't mind having a custom axle shaft length. I am still thinking about cutting it down 3-4 inches instead of six, and having the long side shortened and resplined.
The only other issue would be no off the shelf steering, but that is not a big deal.

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
I am also using a stock pitman arm. The waggy axle is 61.5"wide i believe. I also have 1.25" wheel spacers on each side. Most if not all the 44 axle shafts have the same splines. They are just different lengths. So a wagoneer longside shaft would work with your housing. I made my steering out of 1.5x.25 tube and it has been bashed and it is still strait.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I also run wheel spacers.

Rick Horwitz - Mobile Admin

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I am also using a stock pitman arm. The waggy axle is 61.5"wide i believe. I also have 1.25" wheel spacers on each side. Most if not all the 44 axle shafts have the same splines. They are just different lengths. So a wagoneer longside shaft would work with your housing. I made my steering out of 1.5x.25 tube and it has been bashed and it is still strait.

Good Info;
You got any idea exactly how long is a waggy longside shaft?
I think this might be the way to go. Not full width, but not early Bronco......Its a new hybrid waggy shafted Bronco tabbed, HP Dana 44.

On your steering; Did you thread the ends, or weld in threaded bungs?

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
I'm running the same steering as matt. 1.5x.25 dom with Chevy tre's. My bungs are welded in.... (that sounds weird)

..anyway my front axle was also pushed 4" forward.

01STrunner

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Greer, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
I got my hi steer kit from a place in California but don't recommend the company at all; they had horrible customer service and messed up my order 3 times before sending me the right stuff. Anyway, I am running 1.5x.25 DOM as well and each end is threaded to accept threaded TREs. BTW the axle is a LP HD44 from a Grand Waggy.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
My bung was also pushed 4" forward.

There, I fixed it for you. Doesn't sound weird at all anymore.:eek:

What does everyone think of the elockers? I like the ARB because I have had very good luck with them, but they are complicated and expensive. I want a selectable, push button type locker for the front axle, but really don't know much about the elocker. I can get one for about $200.00 less than the ARB. Also won't need to purchase a new compressor since my old one is shot. Overall savings is close to $500.

tdavis

Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
Jefe had one, and if I remember correctly, nuked it several times.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
On that note, I have had 13 years of good service from my D44 ARB... knock wood!!

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I know. I have Paul B's old ARB. Its at least 15 years old and still working perfectly.

I know the E Locker was recently redesigned and is supposed to work very well now. Going to have to do a little more research.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
OX locker is not much different than a push button selectable. Just have a cable to push/pull.
No compressor needed, and hundreds of dollars cheaper than the ARB. :dunno:

They also have a bolt on upgrade for electric push button motor that replaces the push/pull cable.

FAKRWEE

Elite Explorer
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Carlsbad, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Jeep Rubicon
Same here, no experience with e-locker but my ARB was bullet proof, never failed.......when I remembered to switch it on. :D

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
OX locker is not much different than a push button selectable. Just have a cable to push/pull.

Randall ran an Ox-Locker. I remember he initially had some problems with it. I'm not sure how it's worked out in the long run. I don't recall if he was running it in the front or rear:dunno: