Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 88 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Took some more pictures;
Completely unmolested under dash wiring
20170913_215320.jpg

Roached rocker panel
20170913_215400.jpg

Body
20170913_215503.jpg

20170913_215517.jpg

Seats
20170913_215336.jpg

20170913_215427.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

look at those pretty doors and mirrors... and it still has the *****in roof rack! that is a good score for sure

I have another roof rack just like it in the junk pile out back.

I was just starting to rip into the parts Explorer when I realized it would be hard to get mine out once repairs were made when parts Ex is between it and the gate. So, I put the driver seat back in mine, pulled the parts Ex out, rolled mine out into the street, got my neighbor to help push it so it was facing into the drive, then backed parts Ex in, put the battery back in mine, winched it into position and removed the batteries on both Explorers.
Old
20170914_163128.jpg

New
20170914_171707.jpg

Then, I was starting to feel a little guilty for killing a running, driving Explorer. Crawled underneath and looked at the body rot, felt better. Its already dead.

I think I might keep the engine since it runs great, just has some oil leaks. Its a low mileage engine (105,000). Then if mine ever goes, I will have a replacement.

I was just going ask about the engine for the same reason. The steering box probably wouldn't be a bad item to save as well. That was a great buy. I might be interested in the transfercase. What gears are in the axles?

Transfercase works, but might leak. I don't know what gears are in axles, need to check that.
Steering box has very little play and pump is quiet. Both are going in my Explorer as I have gone through several Autozone rebuilts.
The transmission shifts very well and I did not notice any slippage.

If anyone wants parts, send me a PM with dibs. If I don't keep what you are looking for, we will work something out.

Forgot to mention that the driver side hub/wheel bearing was humming me a tune on the way home with every left turn.

I got the Explorer almost completely torn down today. I need to pull the rest of the interior so I can get to the entire interior wiring harness. I keep finding burnt wires, so I feel it would best to replace the entire harness. Brake pedals and booster, and throttle pedal were all cooked, so I am replacing them all.

20170915_132540.jpg

Anybody know of a good cleaner to get black stuff off metal?

While you have it all torn apart you might want to change the hood release cable as well. Hate to see it break on you later from some hidden damage.

While you have it all torn apart you might want to change the hood release cable as well. Hate to see it break on you later from some hidden damage.

The one thing that looked fine. Dang, now I have to pull that too :D

When you said brake petal and gas pedal were cooked and posted a picture with hood release right between the two it seems like it might be a good idea.

You going to add some reflectex to the floor to keep some of the heat out? I guess you could say screw it and rhino line the floor instead.

~Mark

When you said brake petal and gas pedal were cooked and posted a picture with hood release right between the two it seems like it might be a good idea.
The hood release has zero damage, weird. I think most of the heat was on the left side of the steering column. I pulled the throttle pedal because I thought the bushing was melted, but there isn't one. I will see which one is in better shape, and put that one in.

You going to add some reflectex to the floor to keep some of the heat out? I guess you could say screw it and rhino line the floor instead.

~Mark

The carpet survived with just a little scorching under the driver side kick panel. Carpet on the donor is like new, except for some stains that will be hidden by my center console, so its going in.

I pulled all the interior trim on the donor except the door panels because its all nicer than mine. Wiring harness looks untouched. Was going to pull the front seats but I broke my star socket trying to remove the driver seat belt bolt. Going to get a new one tomorrow. Sprayed a bunch of PB Blaster under the car on the bolt threads. Only problem so far with the Ohio donor is some rusty bolts. Kind of new territory for me, all my other vehicles have been from Southern California or Arizona. If I meet some serious resistance, I will just cut the bolt heads off since the vehicle is being junked. Need to keep the seat belts, since they also are in excellent condition.

Pulled the dash face, removed original radio. Looks untouched and very clean inside the dash.

You may want to look into a vinyl replacement of the carpet. It's under $200 and would probably make cleaning the interior way easier with all the dust we go through. I've been meaning to do it in mine forever, but the 250 will probably get done first. Dog hair is a pain to vacuum out of the carpet :(

The hood release has zero damage, weird. I think most of the heat was on the left side of the steering column. I pulled the throttle pedal because I thought the bushing was melted, but there isn't one. I will see which one is in better shape, and put that one in.

The carpet survived with just a little scorching under the driver side kick panel. Carpet on the donor is like new, except for some stains that will be hidden by my center console, so its going in.

I pulled all the interior trim on the donor except the door panels because its all nicer than mine. Wiring harness looks untouched. Was going to pull the front seats but I broke my star socket trying to remove the driver seat belt bolt. Going to get a new one tomorrow. Sprayed a bunch of PB Blaster under the car on the bolt threads. Only problem so far with the Ohio donor is some rusty bolts. Kind of new territory for me, all my other vehicles have been from Southern California or Arizona. If I meet some serious resistance, I will just cut the bolt heads off since the vehicle is being junked. Need to keep the seat belts, since they also are in excellent condition.

Pulled the dash face, removed original radio. Looks untouched and very clean inside the dash.

I had the same issue when pulling my interior seat bolts. I broke a blue point torch and then I bought a cheap one from carquest (gear wrench I believe) and it held up better than the blue point. I was able to get the head far enough out to use a BIG pair of channel locks on it.

oh wow. Sorry to see that happen to such a great explorer. Glad your fixing it

Take a propane /map torch to the underside of the seatbelt bolts. It will break the factory thread locker bond, and help with the rust. Also, if you can find a set of solid 1 pc impact torque sockets, they work way better. I broke a few 2 pc torque sockets in half dealing with them bolts before I learned the torch and impact trick.

I drowned the rusty bolts with PB Blaster last night. This morning, all but one came out with the use of my impact gun and a HF impact socket. I bought a set of Star impact sockets that I will probably never use again. The one that was resisting the most broke loose with a piece of pipe on a breaker bar. Fought me all the way out, but I was victorious.

Stripped the interior of the donor Ex with the exception of the dash, park brake assembly, pedals, booster and steering column.

Pulled the rest of my Explorer's interior as well. It will make it easier to replace the entire interior wiring harness. Most of the donor Ex's interior panels are in better shape than mine, so most of them will go in as well. Before I start replacing parts, I need to clean, and paint the burnt area. Should have that done by Wednesday.

you going to put just regular bolts back in for the seat belts?

Back