Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 141 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the Explorer diff filled and its back on all four feet. At today's weather conditions, it took about 20 minutes to fully empty a one quart bottle of Lucas 85-140 hanging above the diff with a tube into the fill port, so it was about an hour filling the diff. Going to take it for a drive tomorrow.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I ordered a DIY header kit from Speedway about a month ago it was out of stock.... it came in and they actually called to see if we still wanted it!! NOW THAT is customer service.
Will be using speedway more often....along with the usual rock auto and summit......

Glad you got the diff filled now go test drive! Hopefully without the headache

I never heard of Speedway

I took it for a short drive over to the parent's house on Friday. Drives the same, vibration still gone, I guess I fixed it. I did drive over to a area we used to go off-road and camping at when I was young. Its all private area's with huge houses, which was no surprise since its on the edge of Ranch Santa Fe, but it used to be a bunch of dirt trails by a nice stream. I remember going there with my grandfather in his 47 Ford Panel Van to catch crayfish. I spoke with a security guard who said there is still a public roadway going down into the canyon, and pointed out the entrance to me. I drove down a easy dirt grade to the same concrete water crossing I remembered from long ago. All the side trails are blocked off and its some type of habitat for endangered whatever now. The road goes through to Elfin Forest and was a little bumpy so I got the tires dirty anyways.

Any day offroad is a good day :D

I took the Explorer for a drive in the back country on Wednesday, about 120 miles. Freeway, highway and 30 miles of dirt roads. The dirt roads go from a county maintained road, to a forest road that is not a 4wd trail by any means, but runs along the sides of some very deep canyons in the Three Sisters Falls area near Julian. I am always impressed at how my trail rig seems to cruise down the highway so well. Its gutless, but its only noticeable on long grades.

One of my Optima red tops has gone bad. Its the auxiliary battery. They were both purchased at the same time and both aid in starting the engine since they are wired to both be active in start/run. In every other mode they are separated by a disconnect relay. I thought it strange that the auxiliary battery went bad, then realized it was the one that melted the car when it suffered its electrical fire. That might have taken a few years out of its life span. Its not holding a charge for more than a few days. I can switch out the main battery with any type 34 that will fit in the mount, but the rear mount is specifically made for a Optima type 34, so for now the old engine battery will be switched out with the new battery if I go with a Odyssey or another brand that will not fit in the auxiliary battery box.

So now I need a new type 34 AGM type battery. Considering the Odyssey or just getting another Optima. The Odyssey Elite appears on par with the yellow top Optima's, and are cheaper.
Deka makes a AGM Intimidator that is considerably cheaper than both of the others.

Any opinions on what I should get?
Any lower cost options that anyone has had good luck with?

I have been debating getting a Odyssey for JP as well. I had a AGM from O'riley's that lasted pretty long, and when it died they replaced it free. The replacement has not had the same luck. It lasted maybe 2 years, and will not hold a charge now. Not sure either.:(

I have an odyssey in my lj and it works great. Reminds me of old optimas. I have a orielly Agm in my ranger and it seems to work fine too- not as much capacity as the odyssey. I used orielly because it broke when I was hunting and didn’t have another choice. I would use odyssey again if I could afford it.

It's all your fault Brian, I pulled the trigger yesterday and order an Odyssey

Where did you order it from? Seems they are priced the same nearly everywhere.

Morris 4x4, they had a coupon I could use.

Update: If your going to order one, I would do it now. I just got a update saying mine is delayed till the end of the year 🙁

I ended up ordering a Optima yellow top off Amazon. I had a $30 gift card, and with the Optima I don't have to modify the battery box.

Ever since I installed that 8.8 C-clip eliminator kit something is bugging me that I should have done when I had it apart. I noticed a nick in one of the carrier bearing races when I was putting it all back together. I should have replaced the carrier bearings because the more I think about it, the more I don't trust the bearings anymore. So now, I have to pull it apart again and hope I do not damage the new axle seals. I have a few questions about carrier bearings;

Can I use the existing shims, or will replacing the bearings mess up the gear alignment?

Does the the Detroit locker use different bearings?

Should be able to use existing shims. Might change setup a little. I would check backlash before and after to make sure.

detroits use same as stock bearings.

Thanks, that was quick. What do you think about Yukon bearings? I have only been able to find Yukon or AC Delco carrier bearings on-line.

I have never set up gears

I like timken the best, but sometimes they are hard time find and they really aren’t what they used to be. Still, I try to use them as much as possible. Jeff’s bronco graveyard has been good or there is a bearing shop in my town that has timken if you pay a little more. Autozone used to carry them but no more. Also the way the 8.8 sets up would make it easy to adjust the backlash if needed.

I ended up ordering a Optima yellow top off Amazon. I had a $30 gift card, and with the Optima I don't have to modify the battery box.

I'm still having good luck with Optimas. The yellow one in my Seneca is 6 or 7 years old. Mach 1s red top is 5 years old. Yellow top camper batteries are still showing charged but I lost track of their ages.

Now I better knock on wood ;)

I replaced mine with factory kayo

Back