• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Black Exhaust Tips

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Liv'n in the hollow of an 'ol oak tree. ;-)
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
Not a fan of the factory chrome exhaust tips ................

So ............ $240.00 P&L later

3 down, 1 to go
IMG_20200514_154618.jpg
IMG_20200514_160633.jpg

Done ......................

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
Not sure on the size or brand. I will have to ask the muffler shop.
Mike

JimST

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
Thanks Mike!

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
OD is 3". They are one piece as opposed to an inner and outer shell that is bonded. Thus, the inside is not perforated. I like the solid construction. I held one before installation. It was not light weight. I'm betting they are die stamped. :) They kind of stunk like a new exhaust system on a new vehicle. Burned off after a few days.
Mike

JimST

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
OD is 3". They are one piece as opposed to an inner and outer shell that is bonded. Thus, the inside is not perforated. I like the solid construction. I held one before installation. It was not light weight. I'm betting they are die stamped. :) They kind of stunk like a new exhaust system on a new vehicle. Burned off after a few days.
Mike
Thanks Mike. If you find out brand and where they were purchased from that would be great! Thanks again. Jim

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Mike
I thought you ordered a Borla system a few months back??

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
I did ............... And returned it for a refund. After using forscan to turn off the artificial sound, why spend $1,2,00.00 to add sound ? Nah.

(fixed it)

Last edited:

JimST

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
I did ............... And returned it for a refund. After using forscan to turn off the artificial sound, why spend $2,000.00 to add sound ? Nah.
Mike, one more question. How quiet it is it in the cab. With the fake engine sound off? Thanks Jim

Forddealz

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I did ............... And returned it for a refund. After using forscan to turn off the artificial sound, why spend $2,000.00 to add sound ? Nah.
Borla system with black tips is only $1,200. It ads not only sound but it adds performance.

JimST

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
Borla system with black tips is only $1,200. It ads not only sound but it adds performance.
Forddealz, I can’t wait to kill my fake engine noise but please don’t think your performance will be enhanced by adding the Borla system. That being said I will probably put the Borla S on our ST just because I would like to hear real exhaust sound. By the way just finished installing the Livernois tune. It’s great!! Jim

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
BORLA®'s patented flow through design and proper diameter mandrel bent tubing evacuate the exhaust gases out the system much faster and at a much greater temperature than factory exhaust. This results in performance gains in HP when you plant your foot and fuel economy at cruising speeds.

Peter

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
Drink the Kool aid ? I've had Borla, Corsa and Magnaflow on various Corvettes and Camaro's. The hp gain is miniscule. Tuning and long tube headers will give you gains. A catback system is more about looks and sound.

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
BORLA®'s patented flow through design and proper diameter mandrel bent tubing evacuate the exhaust gases out the system much faster and at a much greater temperature than factory exhaust. This results in performance gains in HP when you plant your foot and fuel economy at cruising speeds.

Peter
Ever notice Borla never posts numbers ? That's because a catback system simply creates noise. Having owned 15 Corvettes over the years, it took ARH longtubes, going catless and, one hell of a dyno tune to bump up the hp.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
They did in one of the articles on the page I linked.
"We frequently see gains in the 8 to 12 horsepower range, sometimes much higher. However, every application is unique and environmental differences can affect the outcome, it is therefore not possible to give an exact number for your specific situation."

Peter

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
They did in one of the articles on the page I linked.
"We frequently see gains in the 8 to 12 horsepower range, sometimes much higher. However, every application is unique and environmental differences can affect the outcome, it is therefore not possible to give an exact number for your specific situation."

Peter
I think that says it all. One tuner for our cars has said in another forum that you are unlikely to any appreciable gains from a Borla exhaust without a tune on our vehicle.

GalenaST

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
GALENA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST
Looks so much better, the stock tips are meh.

I went with polished 4 inch tips because I like shiny things lol
20200515_124801.jpg
20200515_124916.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Thank you. My point exactly. The exhaust alone doesn't do squat.
That's not what the quote said Mike nor what themismosh actually said either. But apparently everyone has their own opinion. Several articles that say an exhaust system may improve performance. Me, I'll stick with the stock system.

Peter