Black Magic Extreme 180 Electric Fan Install | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black Magic Extreme 180 Electric Fan Install

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had been running no fan for so long that by the time I finally installed the electric fan, I couldn't make a comparison. It was winter after my engine rebuild was finished, and I left the fan off. Not to mention, the engine rebuild added quite a few power adders (cam, intake, headers) so any power added by running no fan wouldn't have been noticed as it was basically a brand new, modified engine. I did put the stock fan back on for a few weeks before the elec fan was installed, and while I noticed a bit of a loss of power, more importantly I lost about 1.5mpg while running the belt driven fan. Since having the new fan on, and the good old Summer gas in my tank, I've gained back about 3mpg! I hate that Winter fuel!

So my answer, in a nutshell, is yes, the elec fan is well worth the minor effort required to install it. A bit of power, plus a bit of MPG increase is always worth it.

Thanks for the input. I hate the winter fuel mix also! Its terrible!

So my next question is, How is that 180 holding up? I read through this entire thread and saw that Aldive have 2 control modules burn up on him and after about 3 years the motor on the fan burned up so I'm sceptical of buying on of these.

Another thing is that everyone is saying the 180 is much quieter than the 150. Well how quiet is quiet? I mean I'm not expecting it to be so quiet I can't hear it or anything. And that leads to my final question, I see you are from a similar climate as I am, how much does the fan run?

I just got done putting a bunch of money into my truck after having to pull the engine for a timing chain and a worn rocker. I'm just trying to justify spending another $300 on it, which I don't mind if the fan is reliable.

This question is for anyone, I've also heard from several places that a taurus fan works well. What year taurus are we talking about? Any?

Don't know how much quieter it is, as I have nothing to compare, but it isn't load by any means. My control module works, but not thermally. It never did, and I've only tried to reach black magic once on this because I use a switch to control my fan any way. I am kind of pissed that they have not responded to my original inquiry tho! I have to get on that, because I think I should at least have a working module even if I don't need it. As for the fan's motor reliability, so far so good. But it's not been a year yet so who knows.

ok. Thats good enough for me. Seems pretty consistant that the control module fails a lot. I was really wanting to just order that black magic kit but it looks like I'm going to be looking for a used taurus fan instead.

Thanks again for the input

Just got mine in the mail from amazon.com. It looks like a tight fit in there.

Plenty of room. And w/ no body lift, yours should be easier than mine. Side note, I forgot to tell the Valet that my fan was manual only (BlackMagic box never worked right). My radiator blew a pin hole near one of the old bent fins. It is original, and has been thru a lot so I can't be mad at any one but myself. It's due for a good replacement, and a working control unit!

My car has the V8. Just didn't work. I measured a little bit more than 3", or about 3.5", from the water pump fan stud to the radiator. I couldn't squeeze it in.

the 12 v positive terminal is connected to a switched 12 v source at the fuse block with an Add A Circuit adaptor

Are you talking about the fuses under the hood behind the battery, or the fuses inside the dash next to the driver side door? Which fuse did you tap?

What a GREAT Thread ~! - When I read this I knew I found the right Discussion Board - Tooling up for this Mod now as part of Water Pump replacement at 76K miles.

I don't agree but its said that u need to put Fan Clutch back on Water Pump even though u are running Electric Fan ____? - On that thought am I the only one who has considered whipping out their Makita Angle Grinder & whacking the Fan Clutch Threads off their new Water Pump_______?

I don't agree but its said that u need to put Fan Clutch back on Water Pump even though u are running Electric Fan ____? - On that thought am I the only one who has considered whipping out their Makita Angle Grinder & whacking the Fan Clutch Threads off their new Water Pump_______?
I would like to know how tough the threaded shaft is, to cut off. The WP doesn't need anything on it, that's a BS story.

Nope, except mine is a Milwaukee.

The water pump snout is pretty thick, and after thinking it over and deciding there was no turning back if the e fan did not work, plus the risk of that shaft getting so hot the seals in the pump might become defective, made me accept the fan belt.

Nope, except mine is a Milwaukee.

The water pump snout is pretty thick, and after thinking it over and deciding there was no turning back if the e fan did not work, plus the risk of that shaft getting so hot the seals in the pump might become defective, made me accept the fan belt.

That might be a job for the old manual hack saw, remember those?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man, that would be rough.

That's how I cut my first pair of coil springs, for my 73 Ranchero. I found a spec page in back of a catalog, and selected a spring with the right diameter for the car, the right rate and long enough. The cheapest pair was $80, so I got them and cut off a couple of coils. It wore out almost two blades, and took a good hour going slow. That's a shame too, I completely rebuilt that front end, and then the engine blew 75 miles later. A lot of good parts there have been unused since about 1989.

Back