Black Rockcrawlers for my friend | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black Rockcrawlers for my friend

I'd like to start off by saying, I am personally a Grand Cherokee owner, and a user of www.jeepsunlimited.com people very often link in pages from this forum to better inform us of some new ideas, etc.... You guys have a wonderful board here.

Back to my main topic though:

My friend's birthday is coming up in a few weeks, and he is would like to get a set of 15x8 black rockcrawler rims on his '94 explorer... Tires will come later, but we have to plan accordingly. Planning on a 2 or 3 inch body lift. What size tire will fit in this, with no rubbing issues... The main question I need answered is what amount of backspacing do ya'll usually get... 3.75, 4.0? I think he would like the tires to either be high profile, or maybe stick out just a slight bit. So which backspacing should I get...

Also I would like to share a little bit of envy I have of you explorer guys. I had to lift my grand cherokee 3 inches to clear 31's, and when I went up to 5.5" and 33"s, I gave the 31's to my friend, and with no lift, and stock rims, they fit fine, without a single issue. You all have much more accomodating wheel wells than us jeep guys...

Also with whatever size tire ya'll suggest, then what gearing do you suggest to put in?

What axles do ya'll usually have? (I-6 engine)

One last question: how do ya'll recalibrate ya'll speedometers? inexpensive?

Ours is very simple, this is how we do it: (enjoy.....)

http://jeepsunlimited.com/zj/speedo/speedo.htm

Thanx
-Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Matt, welcome to the boards!

I think I can answer a few of your questions.

I recommend the 3" body lift with a 32x11.50 tire.

If he wants to regear, then he should go with a 4.10. But if he already has 3.73's he will be ok.

His truck has a reverse rotation Dana 35 IFS front, and an 8.8 Ford rear.

His explorer speedometer works just like your jeep does.

i think you should try your 33's out on his truck from yours they will fit and have the same bolt pattern (i think) and welcome to the board, you sound like a good friend to be buyin him rims.

Yes we do all have the same bolt pattern 5 on 4.5... Grand Cherokee's, Cherokee's, Wrangler's, Explorer's, Bronco's, Ranger's and I don't know what else. Thats how we decided that the 31's would fit. Put one of my rims and tires on his, and turned to full lock both ways...

Are you seriously saying that he can put 33's on with no lift, or did you mean with like a 2 inch body...?

Also do ya'll have a site of the correct speedometer gear corresponding to gears, etc...

Also what is the stock gearing in explorer's?

EDIT: oops, I forgot that my friend was logged on his username on my computer... It's still me jeepman

I would recomend a 15x8'' wheel. As for back spacing I'm not sure. I have a 97 Mountaineer which is more critical of off set than the first generation of Explorers.

Originally posted by xxzac5
same bolt pattern 5 on 4.5... Grand Cherokee's, Cherokee's, Wrangler's, Explorer's, Bronco's, Ranger's and I don't know what else.

just for clarification, broncos have a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern... but a bronco II has the same as an explorer

i would go with 3.75 backspacing, also some explorers have different gear ratio's. my friend has a 92 with 3.73's and i have a 93 with 3.27's. so its pretty much all different, crawl underneath his rig, there should be a tag on his rear differential that says his gear ratio. also dont even waste your time with a body lift, they suck, i would save up or if you can just go with a suspension lift. i had a body list on mine for a year or so and the only thing it did was give space for 31's but other then that it sucked ass driving.

Originally posted by jimabena74

just for clarification, broncos have a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern... but a bronco II has the same as an explorer

Sorry, thats acutally what I meant to put, my mistake....

Back