• Register Today It's free!

Black Torpedo

walterd140

Reaction score
City, State
Ludlow, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
Got this black plastic vacuum torpedo sitting on the top passenger side of my 94 Sport V-6. Tube going into the back was broke off, so as an emergency patch I put an actual band-aid on it. What the heck is this thing?? If you open your hood it will be on the left side, almost in front of where your passanger would be. Sits on top of the manifold almost touching the firewall.

Any clue??

Walter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its a vaccume (accumulator???) it stores the vaccume the engin creates ...you need it so get a new or used one in good condition.

Egads. OK, I'll have to fashion a new tube. But the one on there has such a small inside diameter. Would it hurt to put a new rubber tube on with a larger ID? If this thing is leaking vacuum pressure, what would that affect in the engine? Gas miliage? Sometime when at idle the engine sounds like she's puffing & when I step on the gas to get to 2k rpm it doesn't sit well. Bounces from 2k to about 1800, then back up. Is this a probable issue from the torpedo?
Walter

with fuel injection vaccume can totally screw ya or do nothing at all....its hit or miss depending where its leaking... i guess this could explain ur idle problem...BTW a larger accumulator wouldent hurt.

On a related note, any ideas on what would cause the accumulator to collapse? On my '91 it's nearly flat as a pancake. I do have sopme drivabiltiy issues, but I don't think they're related to the accumulator. I'm more curious as to what would make the accumulator collapse :)

Pat

On a quick thought, your vacuum canister has a negative pressure inside. A hole in that may cause a collapse, especially if you take the plastic & heat it up. So I would say heat & a hole will / may collapse this torpedo.

BTW.. I put some electrical tape on the broken tube (removed band-aid 1st). Idle seems better, more steady when I sit at park & rev to 2k.
Walter

My auto tech insturctor thought it might have been exposed to heat as well. I kind of doubt mine is repairable so I'll probably head down to my friendly neighborhood pick and pull and get a new one one of these days. I'm glad to hear you got your issue fixed!

Pat

mine got HOT and was the size of a golf ball....pulled the one off the parts truck and no problems to date...BTW its an 8mm bolt .

Back