• Register Today It's free!

Black Transmission Fluid

pcsullivan91

Reaction score
City, State
Huntersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
Hey guys I brought my truck (01 sport trac, 120,000 miles) into the shop to have the fluid and filter changed. The tranny fluid was black and my mechanic said not to change it because the clutch could start slipping with new fluid. His explanation was that the black dirty trans fluid was built up enough on the clutch to keep it running smooth and new fluid would clean the clutch and remove the build up.
I just got this truck 4 months ago and its obvious the previous owner wasnt big on maintenance.

What do you guys think? is it safe to change the fluid or do i just wait till the tranny dies...?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not flush it for sure. I would draw 3-6 quarts out every oil change and replace until you are happy with the color, then drop the pan and replace the tranny filter. Just suck it right out of the dipstick tube. If you do 3-4 quarts at a time it will be a gradual process.

You will not get a definitive answer on this. This is one of the most debated automotive-related topics ever.

I can share that I've changed the fluid in two vehicles that had 120k+ and had no problems. However, the fluid did not come out completely black.

I was About to ask the question on were in my 02 Manual ST is were i do change my trans oil, my truck is on the 125,000 miles and i heard this debate in my work, let me know what you guys think cause my Shift stick sometimes it gets hard to change or even get to 1 shift or Reverse,

thanks for Help!!

It's not an issue on a manual, definitely change it.

i changed my manual acura to redline synthetic. that mess is amazing. it was sticking like yours jesus and the new synthetic helped the sticking synchros alot!

Sickwilly:
Thanks for the advise i'm gonna go that route for sure. preciate it

Well am convinced, now were do i change it i been wondering and ask a few friends we is located, thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Well am convinced, now were do i change it i been wondering and ask a few friends we is located, thanks!!!!!!!!!!
On the side of the transmission there will be a drain plug near the bottom and a fill plug somewhere around the middle. Take the fill plug out first, a regular 3/8" ratchet extension fits into it. Drain it and put the drain plug back in. You will need a suction gun to fill it. Your manual transmission does take Mercon automatic transmission fluid. I'd recommend Mobil 1 ATF if they have it where you live. Suck some ATF out of the bottle and pump it into the fill plug. It probably takes a bit less than 2 quarts but just keep filling it until some runs out of the fill hole. Then put the fill plug back in. It is not necessary to make the plugs extremely tight or you can strip the threads, just snug is good enough.

Awesome! thanks for Advice!!!!

is it possible to pump fluid out through the dipstick tube? i want to remove 5 quarts tomorrow but wud like to avoid removing the pan? is there another way?

Should be possible with a small hose.

is it possible to pump fluid out through the dipstick tube? i want to remove 5 quarts tomorrow but wud like to avoid removing the pan? is there another way?

Yes -- I have the moeller fluid vac and have done this with my sport trac. I can only suck 2 quarts out with the tubes that came with mine.

2 quarts every oil change until the fluid that comes out looks significantly better is what I would do. That, or suck two out, add two, run it through the gears, pull two more, then run on that mixture until the next oil change.

Do not flush it, since it has not been done.

easy does it.

Once you slowly get the fluid looking good, then drop the pan and replace the filter.

hi guys ! the forward gears in my ford explorer 96 just stoped working. when i checked the transmission fluid was very black and had big pieces of metal in the pan like some gears are eating up or something. the reverse works perfectly. at sometimes the forward gears would work but it has totally stop now. dont know what happened. could it be the solenoid ? valve body needs rebuild or transmission needs rebuild?

From what you describe I would make a trip to the junkyard and find a cheap replacement, jmo.

Depends on where the chunks of metal are from. You'd have to pay a shop to rip apart the trans to see if it's salvagable. This cost could buy a used trans from a junkyard. To rebuild a trans is costly. It comes to personal preference about how much you wanna pay out.

yea , i have a friend that works on transmissions. he told me to buy a master rebuild kit and hed rebuild it. he said that reverse is working perfectly , just that my forward gears seem burnt out. but i have question. why is the fluid so black and why did it still drive sometimes and now it doesnt?

The clutches and bands for the forward gears are stretched out from too much heat, dirty, burned fluid. If he's willing to help save you a ton of labor costs then defintely go for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back