black widow exhaust experience

jonothehut

Reaction score
City, State
SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Sport Trac
Greetings,

Like the title says, anyone have any experience with black widow mufflers? How do they sound on the v6?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To my ear, the only engine that sounds good with loud mufflers is a V8. V6's and 4 cylinders with loud mufflers sound like crap. JMHO.

Ultimately want I want is the quiteiest performance muffler but I'm not sure if those two go hand in hand.

I don't think the black widow mufflers are quiet but their sound bites of v6 engines sounded gnarly. Was curious if anyone had any personal experience.

Muffler with the lowest and quietest note I've heard with the 4.0L SOHC is the Dynomax SuperTurbo. Unfortunately as koda says, V6 engines will never sound like V8's regardless of displacement, it's all about harmonics. The ST's 4.0L SOHC can actually sound quite good at idle and at light throttle. Problem is once wound up over 3000 RPM it will almost sound "ricey" the higher you go. I initially used clamps instead of welding to test several mufflers on my ST. Tried Borla, Magnaflow, and the Flowmaster 50 Series. Found the Dynomax #17733 2.5" OD the quietest with the lowest tone by far. (#17731 2.25" is stock OD) Removing the factory resonator also slightly enhanced the low tone and volume without added rasp. I did not notice added drone at highway speeds. I reused the U shaped tail pipe exiting out the side and ran it straight out the back under the bumper. It's also ridiculously inexpensive at less than $50 from Amazon shipped with a limited lifetime warranty and a 90 day trial.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/super-turbo/

http://www.dynomax.com/warranty-guarantee/

i have the black widow 250 and i love it. it is a little louder this the magna flow and took some time to get used to but the truck sounds amazing. brian (owner of blackwidow) runs it on his ST and after hearing his truck i was sold on it. you will not regret it.

Muffler with the lowest and quietest note I've heard with the 4.0L SOHC is the Dynomax SuperTurbo. Unfortunately as koda says, V6 engines will never sound like V8's regardless of displacement, it's all about harmonics. The ST's 4.0L SOHC can actually sound quite good at idle and at light throttle. Problem is once wound up over 3000 RPM it will almost sound "ricey" the higher you go. I initially used clamps instead of welding to test several mufflers on my ST. Tried Borla, Magnaflow, and the Flowmaster 50 Series. Found the Dynomax #17733 2.5" OD the quietest with the lowest tone by far. (#17731 2.25" is stock OD) Removing the factory resonator also slightly enhanced the low tone and volume without added rasp. I did not notice added drone at highway speeds. I reused the U shaped tail pipe exiting out the side and ran it straight out the back under the bumper. It's also ridiculously inexpensive at less than $50 from Amazon shipped with a limited lifetime warranty and a 90 day trial.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/super-turbo/

http://www.dynomax.com/warranty-guarantee/

I'm hearing more and more good things about the dynax on the v6. Definitely going to do some more research.

i have the black widow 250 and i love it. it is a little louder this the magna flow and took some time to get used to but the truck sounds amazing. brian (owner of blackwidow) runs it on his ST and after hearing his truck i was sold on it. you will not regret it.
Happen to have a sound clip?

Ultimately want I want is the quiteiest performance muffler but I'm not sure if those two go hand in hand.

I don't think the black widow mufflers are quiet but their sound bites of v6 engines sounded gnarly. Was curious if anyone had any personal experience.
Quietest Performance muffler in my opinion from personal experience, Dymomax Quiet Flow SS muffler.
I'm currently running it on my ST and couldn't be happier. It's the single in dual out that replaced my Spintech 9000 muffler.

04ST4x4
Replaced your spintech? I thought most people were pretty happy with those.

Back