Blank instrument cluster (ST digital display) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blank instrument cluster (ST digital display)

breddy

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
24hr after taking delivery of our 2020 ST we entered the vehicle to a pitch black instrument cluster. SYNC screen was fine and everything worked OK. Checked fuse 13 in the interior fuse panel - no issues. Got an appointment today with the dealer but it has now remedied itself.

Anyone seen this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one has posted about this before. You're #1.:)

Peter

My sync 3 display has gone blank before, but not the dash.

While not specifically mentioned - wonder if this could be a remedy:

SSM 48386 - 2020 Explorer - ST And Platinum Trim Level - Various IPC Features Inoperative -Built On Or Before 01-Jul-2019
Some 2020 Explorer vehicles equipped with ST or Platinum trim levels and speedometers reading miles per hour (MPH) built on or before 01-Jul-2019 may exhibit various instrument panel cluster (IPC) features inoperative such as trip meter shows only zeros for miles/timer and dashes for MPG, fuel economy only shows dashes, eco coach shows 99 percent, unable to control dimming, and/or lighting intensity does not change with ambient light level (day/night). This may be due to thesoftware in the IPC. To correct the condition, perform the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Software Update using the latest software level of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool. For claiming, use causal part 10849 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2020 CAR: TW U625N EXPLORER

While not specifically mentioned - wonder if this could be a remedy:

SSM 48386 - 2020 Explorer - ST And Platinum Trim Level - Various IPC Features Inoperative -Built On Or Before 01-Jul-2019
Some 2020 Explorer vehicles equipped with ST or Platinum trim levels and speedometers reading miles per hour (MPH) built on or before 01-Jul-2019 may exhibit various instrument panel cluster (IPC) features inoperative such as trip meter shows only zeros for miles/timer and dashes for MPG, fuel economy only shows dashes, eco coach shows 99 percent, unable to control dimming, and/or lighting intensity does not change with ambient light level (day/night). This may be due to thesoftware in the IPC. To correct the condition, perform the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Software Update using the latest software level of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool. For claiming, use causal part 10849 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES

Hey this is interesting but ours is a 9/19 build date. It's also now dimming and brightening from time to time. Dealer found no issues but clearly we're not done with this yet...

Hey this is interesting but ours is a 9/19 build date. It's also now dimming and brightening from time to time. Dealer found no issues but clearly we're not done with this yet...

I checked one built in Oct of 19 and it has an update available for the instrument cluster. I would ask your dealer if they did a software update to it or you can PM the VIN and I can check if its been done.

I checked one built in Oct of 19 and it has an update available for the instrument cluster. I would ask your dealer if they did a software update to it or you can PM the VIN and I can check if its been done.

Thanks a ton. The dealer did discover that there was an update and they applied it. However the moment she pulled into the garage and put it in P, the effing thing went black again. She headed straight back and they are ordering a new cluster.

Well after 5 days in the shop and a replaced "gateway module", the ST was back home for about 36h and the screen went black again. Off to the dealer. I'm keeping records in case this turns into a lemon law situation.

Bad APIM?:dunno:

Peter

Bad APIM?:dunno:

Peter

Nobody really knows at this point and I'm pretty unfamiliar with all the bits that connect the higher tech parts of these vehicles. I've called Ford and they are initiating the buy-back process which will escalate to a regional rep since we're on try #4 to resolve this. I'm not bothered about whether they buy back or fix, just want our car home. We've had it home for about 5 of the 14 days we've owned it.

So I think we're in the clear. On visit #4 (and after initiating a lemon law claim with Ford), they replaced the whole cluster and and said they found some bad wiring. Some things are working now that hadn't been at all since the get-go, like some of the e-nanny features and whatnot. The car was so new and we only had it for a few days in total that we hadn't even gotten to the point where we noticed them missing.

Frustrating but as suspected, Ford made it right and we're enjoying the ST!!!

I got this too on my 2020 ST purchased in November 2019. A bunch of fancy black, blue, white colors on every screen you name it. Additionally, I've got all sensors off, no speed indicator, Christmas tree all around, a lots of non-removable faults, bliss errors, rear camera flashing, not functioning cruise control etc. etc. Root cause was: one of the module for bliss at the rear left of the vehicle had pin connectors rusted and created a hiccup in the electric wiring. It rusted because there is a defect on that module from factory, isolation against water is not functioning properly so water got in when rainy days started back in December in Washington state. So just so you know :cool:

I was told its a loose ground wire.

This is happening now to me. Vehicle is one week old!

This is happening now to me. Vehicle is one week old!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Looks like you'll be visiting your dealer visit in the new year,
Happy New Year.:dpchug:

Peter

24hr after taking delivery of our 2020 ST we entered the vehicle to a pitch black instrument cluster. SYNC screen was fine and everything worked OK. Checked fuse 13 in the interior fuse panel - no issues. Got an appointment today with the dealer but it has now remedied itself.

Anyone seen this?
So I think we're in the clear. On visit #4 (and after initiating a lemon law claim with Ford), they replaced the whole cluster and and said they found some bad wiring. Some things are working now that hadn't been at all since the get-go, like some of the e-nanny features and whatnot. The car was so new and we only had it for a few days in total that we hadn't even gotten to the point where we noticed them missing.

Frustrating but as suspected, Ford made it right and we're enjoying the ST!!!
Have you had any issues since the last fix? I just brought my 2022 ST home Friday night and today .. Monday .. I go to drive it and same thing my panel is dead. I drove it home and to the store the next day that’s all the time I’ve had with it after waiting 5 months for it to be built.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you had any issues since the last fix? I just brought my 2022 ST home Friday night and today .. Monday .. I go to drive it and same thing my panel is dead. I drove it home and to the store the next day that’s all the time I’ve had with it after waiting 5 months for it to be built.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Sorry to read about a very disappointing start so far. Best take it back to the dealer to have them check it out.

Peter

Back