Blank Screen- 2000 Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blank Screen- 2000 Mountaineer

eyal8r

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Mountaineer. The radio works fine (factory cd player, w/ 6cd changer in console)- but the screen is black. I can't see anything on it. I was told the fuse back behind the deck is burned out, but I need a special tool to pull it out. I know new decks are fairly cheap, and I'm considering just buying a new one... BUT- in the mean time...

1) How can I fix this myself?

2) If I replace the deck, can I still retain audio control from the steering wheel?

Thanks guys...

1. You'd need to pull the deck out, replace the fuse.

2. Yes you can, but it will be more expensive than if you just ditch the steering wheel controls, however this is up to you.

3. check out www.crutchfield.com and you'll be able to get a better idea of what you can get for a replacement radio, the costs and what it will cost to retain your steering wheel controls.

1. Last I knew stock radios dont have fuses behidn the radio, only in the fuse panel. ANd if it blew your whole radio wouldn't work. More than likely the display is dead.

1a. To remove the radio there's a tool you can buy at wal-mart or maybe some audio places around your area, amazon has them for like 4 bucks ( http://www.amazon.com/METRA-Ltd-86-5618-Radio-Removal/dp/B0002BETIQ ) Metra part# 86-5618. I have also used allen wrenches when desperate. lol

2. These will work with your steering wheel controls, we use them all the time at work. It's by a company called peripheral. Whichever aftermarket radio you pick just buy the right one. It's easy. Power, ground, and then usually only one wire, sometimes two depending on the car. They say msrp is 105 but amazon even has them for 60, ebay for aorund 50.

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com

PESWIPS
Works with Pioneer and Sony radios with external wired remote control input
PESWIECL2
Works with Eclipse radios with external wired remote control input
PESWIAKJC
Works with most Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, Blaupunkt, and Clarion steering remote ready radios

Back