• Register Today It's free!

blazer

camoexplode

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Does anyone know if i could get a side mount swing away spare tire carrier and get it to work for my 92 explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

******From a blazer*******

You can make anything work with enough modification and fab work, but you'd need one from the older midsize Blazers to work with the 1st gen body style, something from the later Blazer probably won't match up, at least in terms of the brackets.

You might want to try the tire carrier from the more similar Bronco II.

They have both been mounted on lots of other vehicles, from pickups to minivans and other SUVs, so it certainly is possible. The hard part is fabricating the reinforcement inside the body for the brackets to mount to. They don't just bolt on to the sheet metal, you actually have to have some thick, strong metal solidly mounted inside the rear quarter panel for the brackets to mount to. Even more so if you're planning to use it to carry a 29" or larger tire.

Thanks for responding. Do the tire swings for broncoIIs mount on to side?
Yeah I was thinking of welding a triangle made of 1inx1in square tubing onto the side and bottom. Possibly bolting on bottom as well.

I was planning on carrying 30 or bigger.
I have 30 now.

You can make anything work with enough modification and fab work, but you'd need one from the older midsize Blazers to work with the 1st gen body style, something from the later Blazer probably won't match up, at least in terms of the brackets.

You might want to try the tire carrier from the more similar Bronco II.

They have both been mounted on lots of other vehicles, from pickups to minivans and other SUVs, so it certainly is possible. The hard part is fabricating the reinforcement inside the body for the brackets to mount to. They don't just bolt on to the sheet metal, you actually have to have some thick, strong metal solidly mounted inside the rear quarter panel for the brackets to mount to. Even more so if you're planning to use it to carry a 29" or larger tire.

what year range do you think?

Anyone??

Any year Bronco II carrier should work. It should handle a 29-31" tire. You'll need to slightly modify the brackets, since the shape of the Bronco II is slightly different from the Explorer, but it'd be less work than a Blazer carrier.

A reinforcement bracket from square turbing would probably need to be made from stuff that's pretty thick, something like 1/8" wall or .120/.125 would be best. You'd definitely want to support it from the back on the top and bottom bracket, preferably bolted or welded to the stronger extruded body metal pieces on the interior of the body.

You might also just be able to make it from a piece of 3/16-1/4" steel that's welded or bent on the sides for stiffness, bolted up or welded right behind the quarter panel back there.

If you find a Bronco II with a rack to pull, try to get the stock interior bracket as well and you can probably just modify it slightly to work with the Explorer.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136490

Thanks. the square tubing is from lowes i think its thick enough. thanks again Anime

I think I could easily modify a broncoII tire swing. thanks for the guidance

This is what it is going on.
image.php
The back was cut off by previous owner but I am welding it back on and getting new hatch

I made mine fold down.

Folddown_zps1e875a5d.jpg

DSCN2323_zps558872c6.jpg

Back