Bleeding brakes, air in the brake lines. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bleeding brakes, air in the brake lines.

fordhead!

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hello, recently I have noticed that my brakes take a long time to stop the car, and that I have to push the break pedal all the way for it to work. I have done research and I have all the symptoms of air in the brake lines.

I am planning on replacing all brake fluid. I can easily find the bleeder screw in the front brakes, but in the rear there seems to be none. Can somebody who has done this give me some tips on brake bleeding?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your fluid low? Low pedal and low fluid without a leak can be from severely worn brake pads.

Only way air could get in is if you have a leak. If no leak it sounds more like master cylinder or booster. When you pump the pedal does it pump up or keep going to the floor board?

I was replacing the rear wheel bearing and I did a bad move and let air go into the brake lines. Since then, I've had the symptoms I described.

If I hit the brake pedal consecutive times it pumps up and brakes fine, but it soon goes back to how it was.

I cannot find the bleeder screw in the rear wheel, and that's why I cannot get the air out. But I also could not bleed the brake fluid either if I want it to...

Thanks for the response.

Is there a black rubber dust cap covering the bleeder screw? Should be directly above the brake caliper hose banjo bolt.

gh0872a-1.gif
dh1356a.gif

I was replacing the rear wheel bearing and I did a bad move and let air go into the brake lines. Since then, I've had the symptoms I described.

If I hit the brake pedal consecutive times it pumps up and brakes fine, but it soon goes back to how it was.

I cannot find the bleeder screw in the rear wheel, and that's why I cannot get the air out. But I also could not bleed the brake fluid either if I want it to...

Thanks for the response.

Why can't you bleed them? (Assuming you locate the bleeder screw.) You can buy a bleeding hose with a check valve in it, if you don't have help.

Thanks for the response.

here's a pic of the valve bleeder. It's covered by a rubber plug that is not that easy to open. You need to remove that rubber plug completely to expose the valve and spray PB Blaster before loosening it. It will strip if haven't loosened for a long time. I used Harbor Freight's Pneumatic Brake Bleeder to flush the brakes, it makes things so easy. It pays off itself since I used it in on my LS, Continental and Mountaineer.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...348605.-2207520000.1402363242.&type=1&theater

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

I successfully bled my brakes, I just couldn't find the bleeder valve. Now my car starts braking with just a touch.

Thank you so much for your help!

How did you bleed your brakes without finding the bleeder valve? Via the banjo bolt?

How did you bleed your brakes without finding the bleeder valve? Via the banjo bolt?

I found it after I read the answers. It was under a black plastic cover, that I thought was a spring for the caliper.

Back