Bleeding Brakes

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
My 99 Mountaineer seems to have a mushy petal (compared to my Sport)
so I bled the brakes tonight with a pump that sucks the fluid through from the bleed valve. (The pads are in very good condition)
It seems, or appears that I get tons of air into the jar. I would think that it was air entering through the threads of the bleed valve. Could it be that I am creating too much vacuum at the bleed screw and that the anti-lock valve(s) are creating a bit of restriction? Is there a special way to bleed anti-lock brake systems?

The master cylinder is full and cap removed.

I was going to just put a hose on the bleeder screw and put the hose in a jar of brake fluid but didn't think that was the best way to get the air (if any) out.

TIA
Kurt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Antilock brakes need to cycle the pump before bleeding. Ford has a special device that hooks into the antilock brake harness and does this....(T-year-P)-50-ALA [anti lock adapter] (they made it number of dfferent years, I think they are all interchangeable.) Mine is from 1990:

15286dscn3574.jpg

Here is the business end:

15286dscn3577.jpg

how much does a device like that set you back tho?

Don't hate me, but mine was "free". I bought a breakout box on E-bay and it came attached. I've seen em on E-bay now and then they tend to go for $75'ish. I have an extra aftermarket one I'll sell for $75. Does the same thing. Brand new in box, never opened.

i have a 92, so i really dont need it, but i was under the impression that that bleeding ABS required a "special, cant-be-obtained-by-home-mechanic giant, engine-oil-power-flushing-machine-sized tool".

Luckily that isnt the case. On your 92 you dont ned anything different to bleed the brakes. I use a vacuum bleeder but the old fashioned way will work fine

I've bled my brakes without that special tool with no problems at all.

I used the vacuum tool and saw lots of tiny (pin head size) bubbles getting sucked out. I attributed this to air leaking around the treads. I didn't like this so I had a helper step on the pedal while I worked the bleeder valve.. IMO it is much faster, but the vac is the only choice when help isn't around.

Back