• Register Today It's free!

Bleeding brakes

javey

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
On a 4.0L SOHC 1998...now, I read in the manual that I do not need any special tool to bleed the brakes on this year, with 4wabs, but I do not know if this is true or not...I don't want to screw it up and have to take it to the shop. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on what "you" mean by "bleeding brakes".... especially with ABS... any kind. IF your brakes have "major air problems", then it is very likely that you will be unable to bleed them properly without "exercising" the ABS module which is the "special part" of the bleed. However, if you are changing brakes and maybe lost a bit of fluid and / or a caliper replacement was involved and / or you "accidentally" introduced some air into the lines at the brake end, then you might be / are usually able to do a "standard bleed" without problems.

What's so "special" about bleeding ABS. I've always just started with the right rear and worked my way to the front left, starting with the farthest and then working to the closest to the master cylinder. That's if you need to bleed the whole system or when changing the fluid of course.

What's so "special" about bleeding ABS. I've always just started with the right rear and worked my way to the front left, starting with the farthest and then working to the closest to the master cylinder. That's if you need to bleed the whole system or when changing the fluid of course.

The abs retains fluid, it just sits in the module until the abs is used, so when you bleed the brakes normally it doesn't replace that fluid. One thing you can do is bleed the system, then drive around for a couple of weeks making sure to use the brakes hard a couple of times so the abs kicks on and you get some clean fluid in there. then bleed them again.

Back