Blend Door Actuator isn't :(

heyok

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer
Help please!

There is lots of heat - even when it tries to run the AC. Found that the blend door wasn't being moved.

I have the EATC and all the controls appear to function normal - the air flow can be sent out the defrost, vents or floor, but I can't control the temperature.

I removed the Blend Door Actuator and the shaft isn't broken.

The Actuator's shaft didn't move at all as I adjusted the temperature.

Removed the actuator's cover and put some voltage on the DC motor and it drove the shaft easily.

Verified that the potentiometer is working and that there is continuity between it and the connector pins. Also continuity for the motor to the connector pins.

So... what could be wrong? I'm thinking that whatever signals the actuator has failed.

Anyone run into this before?

Thanks,
Al

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Help please!

There is lots of heat - even when it tries to run the AC. Found that the blend door wasn't being moved.

I have the EATC and all the controls appear to function normal - the air flow can be sent out the defrost, vents or floor, but I can't control the temperature.

I removed the Blend Door Actuator and the shaft isn't broken.

The Actuator's shaft didn't move at all as I adjusted the temperature.

Removed the actuator's cover and put some voltage on the DC motor and it drove the shaft easily.

Verified that the potentiometer is working and that there is continuity between it and the connector pins. Also continuity for the motor to the connector pins.

So... what could be wrong? I'm thinking that whatever signals the actuator has failed.

Anyone run into this before?

Thanks,
Al
Which engine do you have?

the engine is the 4.0L SOHC

mine is exactly the same problem. I decided to try replacing the module for the hell of it. still the same problem.

My Truck: 98 Explorer Ltd.
For my problem I've figured out why the motor wasn't being turned by the EATC system. Apparently if the door doesn't move within about 10-15 seconds of the systrem trying to move it, it wont try to move it again until you reset the system. To reset the system pull out fuse #36 which is the same fuse as the memory seats.

After figuring that out I had to figure out why the door wouldnt' move. I drilled a 2.5" hole into the side of the air box so that I could see the blend door. I figured out that the door is very stiff to move, and no matter how much penetrating oil I sprayed onto it it doesn't get loose enough to move itself from the closed position consistently. With a little helping push from a scrwdriver the mechanism works perfectly. I'm going to order in a new airbox from the dealer and hopefully that should fix my problem.

could you show a picture of where this is? I have the same problem, but would like to know what i'm getting into before i drill holes, lol

don't drill it

omg DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN YOUR TRUCK!!!!!!
IT 'S PROBABLY THE BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR!!!!
i just replaced mine from the dealer for 60.00
i removed it from the truck and then started the truck up while i reconnected it and turned the heat on then moved the temp lever
to cold then hot while watching the actuator move if it doesn t move then more then likely the actuator is bad....

Blend Door Actuator Fix (for me anyway)

2000 Explorer
4.0 SOHC

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to give my solution to anyone that might be having this same issue. I drove all winter with an issue of full heat all the time, thinking that the blend door had broken like so many others had happen to them. Anyway, today I pulled the actuator out to see if that was the problem. When I adjusted the temp to both extremes the actuator didn't move. So, I opened it up to see if any of the teeth were broken. Everything looked normal. I pulled out the motor and applied power to it (9V battery posts are perfectly spaced to touch the connection points) and it worked in both directions.

Long story short, and with MANY troubleshooting steps omitted...after reading Evader's post, I pulled fuse #36 to reset the memory, turned the key on and back off (for good measure) and replaced the fuse. Everything works as it should now.

Total money spent: $0

Back