• Register Today It's free!

Blend door actuator solution!!!!

ldutton6

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Black Explorer 4.0L
Guys, I just replaced the blend door actuator yesterday in my 2002 ford explorer and man it is NOT HARD!! It only involved a little bit of plastic smashing that is covered anyways and took me 1.5 hrs and that was from start to finish with a beer in between. Here are the instructions:

1. You will see alot of posts about taking the center console out, large plastic housing around radio, and panels below the steering column ect.... Well, yes you do have to slide the console backwards BUT NOT OUT. Follow the posts with guidlines to all that stuff. One guy has a really good post and pics. But, I defied the odds last night and only had to break a little piece of plastic and use a 10mm wrench and was done quickly once the panels were removed. (Many other jobs suck alot worse than this)
2. I do not understand how to post pics since it is asking for a web address but when you take the bottom panel off under the steering column and notice you can see the bolt that holds the actuator in (top left), just picture trying to touch that bolt. Notice you cant right? Well, take a philips screw drive and a hammer and just chop away at that plastic. You will create a nice large triangle hole that you can then put ur whole hand in which makes alot of room and good way to see what is going on.
3. Tackle all the bolts from underneath the plastic and the top RIGHT screw thru where the plastic housing that goes around where the radio is. Wratched wrenches will be key but I still didn't use them.
3. Take all three bolts out, wiggle the actuator, put the new one in carefully and bolt back on. Was not to hard and much easier than some instructions.

Send me an email to ldutton6@gmail.com for pictures and i'd be happy to send them to you.

Back