• Register Today It's free!

Blend door challenges

Gmcgregor

Reaction score
City, State
Landendberg, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I have a 2002 Explorer with manual climate controls. I noticed that the defog wasn't working well so did some digging. I discovered that the servo motor that controls the blend door (has the yellow vacuum line) worked but the plastic linkage that goes from the servo inside the plenum box was broken. It looks like a 3/8 inch diameter plastic rod that I think broke off partially inside the box. The linkage was just hangin loosely on the servo. I can't get close to look at it without taking out the dash. I can barely get my hands up there to feel what might have happend.

Is there a fix option here other than a total dissassembly of the dash?

It seems that I could do a jury rig by drilling a small hole just below the climate control cluster and above the console and insert a "control rod" to push on the door since the door is spring loaded. Something like a manual choke on a lawn mower.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

welcome gmcgregor

Is my issue the blend door linkage?

I'm responding to my own thread. After reading more, it is not clear to me what this vacuum servo does. Is it for the blend door or something else. The location is just above the "blend door motor". It is a silver can with a yellow vacuum line going to it. The push rod from the servo is connected to a black plastic linkage that is not connected to anything. It appears to have broken off.

Can anyone identify what my issue is?

Thanks!!

Back