Blend door issue or? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blend door issue or?

joel_s

Reaction score
Not sure how many things can go wrong with this...*sounds* like a blend door issue but maybe thought I'd check here to see if someone can point me in a better direction....

When it's hot outside, the climate control seems to try Real Hard to get the inside temperature down to the set temp fast by throwing a LOT of air, until the temp gets down to the thermostat setting (or close) when things quiet down. On my '06, all that happens is there's a LOT of noise, not a LOT of air. No more air than usual, even though the fan is obviously trying to do something spectacular.

So I can ask the right questions, is there a name for this mode?

Does it try to put a lot of air out the defrost vents in this mode? Cause nothing much comes out.

Can someone point me to the probable cause?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is any air actually coming out of the panel? If not, I guess this Part Number: 18A318A(YH-1653) would be the culprit.

You could possibly run the EATC test to see if it's functioning correctly. I've yet to get that procedure to work!

Suffering through this this summer. We do have air, just not the normal amount. I found this thread and it sounds exactly like my problem and even has a fix...however the fix is for a gen 3...I don't see the same image as in the pictures when I look through my glovebox door opening.

btw, I also had problems getting my self-test procedure to work...I found that hitting the auto button within "2 seconds" for me was not fast enough...more like 1 second...or as fast as I could...to be the trick.

So, I dropped the fan motor this evening and poked my hand up into the opening. I can feel what I assume is the fresh air recirc door mentioned in the other thread but it doesn't seem loose or broken. However, when I turned the A/C on and hit the recirculation button a few times, nothing happened with the door that I could discern. Also, I was in a hurry and just put the motor back, but didn't reattach all the other misc bits that have to come off to drop it. When the motor was in and everything else was still dangling, I started the A/C and it seemed like I was getting more air than lately from the panel. I shut it off and stuffed the dangling things up for a quick trip to the store and suddenly I had air only from the defrost vents...which I've not had in a long time. I got to the store and un-stuffed things, dropped the motor real quick and re-did everything but left the dangling things dangling, and I have ok/moderate air from the panel again...maybe not "normal", but I'll take what I can get for now. This seems to point to something being bad/flakey, but I'm not smart enough to know what.

Back