• Register Today It's free!

blend door not working?

sunnyjimus

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Vernon, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
My 97 explorer's blend door is stuck in cold position. does anybody know a way to fix this? Where would you cut a hole in the heater box to manipulate it by hand and maybe even see what the issue is inside. :(

Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blend door Acuator fix

Awesome info and got me well on the way to the fix- thank you Robb for the link. I would place on amendment to the location of the holes you drill in the plastic stud: I found that I had to drill the holes on two adjacent sides (square) of the stud to make the door move. If you are looking down at a baseball diamond and are going to draw a line (representing your pin) through it, make the holes close to first and third base, both on the home plate side of the bases. Hope that makes sense- I don't have the means to draw a sketch.
this did save some serious $$ and I imagine it will last a while.

I have a ? about drilling

Great visuals, by the way! MY question is when drilling, I havent taken mine out yet, but by looking at the pics, am I drilling into a metal pin? The picture with the arrows does not show drilling through the center, more like off to the side of the actuator pin.

Could you better tell me the position?

Thanks

Blend door Acuator fix

NC,
mine is a 97 and the pin is plastic. I did drill off center, because that is the only way to get the nail in- the pin doesn't actually drop into a square, it rides along and nests into an "L" or "V", so you need to offset the nail. Hope that helps.

Wow Robb,Mustang GT should make a great freeway jumper.lol thank god every1 was ok and thanks for the link

no actuator = no problem

Hey ... I'm new tot he site but i had a problem with my heat. After 3 days in the shop they told me it was either the actuator or a blend door problem. after a few more COLD trips in the truck and no estimate yet from the shop, i started toying with it myself (and im not a car guy) I found a link on one of these sites about how to cheap and quickly tool with the actuator motor drill here put a pin in there and walla.
Well my case i popped out the actuator motor and tested it and it didnt spin. BUTTT... THE HEAT, AC, FANS, everything! it all just worked witht he motor out?!?! I'm not sure how or why so i just left it out. Easy, free, no mess fix. Well ok not fix but change that worked haha
Just wanted to see whatever everyone thought about that.
get back to me!

2003 Blend Door Problem

Everything I've found so far refers to a 97 or older, but I have the same problem with a 2003...anybody have any references for that? The pictures on some of the references are great, except I don't see that under my dash...Thanks.

blend door fix my way

well if the acutator motor isnt working if you take it out, I would try to find another one at a junk yard or something for an easy fix.

In my case, the actuator worked but my blend door was broken on my 97 ranger. I tried the drill and pin fix, but I could never get it to work. I finally decided to order the blend door repair kit from napa. They could not look it up on their system, but I got the number from another thread. Anyway I decided to cut the air box from underneath rather than remove the dash or remove the heater coil. The template that comes with the kit is for a modification from the top of the box. So I first located the picot spot which is a nub towards the radio side. I cut the metal template so it would fit underneath and I traced out the cutout. When I cut the box using my Dremel and a cutting wheel, I cut out the pattern alittle bigger than what I had traced. I then reached up in the box and pulled out the old blend door. Where the pivot nub is, I trimmed off one side of it carefully so when I put in the new blend door it could still sit on the nub. I then pushed up the new door and with my right hand put my finger in the actuator hole the align it and put the pivot in the nub. It was a little tight of a fit, but it went right in. I then installed the actuator and moved it from cool to heat and again and again. worked great and did not fall off the nub. So I took some Duct tape and put a strip around the nub to complete the pivot circle. I have read some people used opoxy or JB weld and replaced the cut out template piece and sealed it. I on the other hand, just put a couple of strips of Duct tape over the opening, sealing it. Seams to work well. Should I have another problem, I just have to remove the tape.
I hope this helps someone. I know I wanted my AC to work here in NC. Ran it today and it was good and cool. Good luck. Oh, by the way the kit was like 11.00. and it took me maybe 2hrs to get it figured out and working.

Thanx Robb!!!!!!

Hi Robb!!!:

Thanx for your help. I fixed my Explorer '98 XLT and just one comment for models 98 and up: instead of clip, the actuator has three 8 mm bolts: 2 towards the rear of the vehicle and one to the front, this is the most difficult to detach, because there is not enough space.
I also fix the same problem on my Mercury Mountaineer 97.

Thanx again.

Ford Explorer/ranger blend door fix

I just fixed my '98 ranger's broken blend door. I found a kit on e-bay called the heatertreater. Fast install, cheap good fix! Saved my a ton of cash and I don't feel like I'm just 'rigging' up a fix myself.:salute:

Ebay Kit Costs $120.00 Plus Shipping

Hi:

The kit costs $120.00 plus shipping, Robb's solution is free

This is true but I figure ya get what ya pay for. No offense to Robb, the free fix beats going to the dealership and overpaying for sure. I just feel like the 'ol nail fix is a temporary solution. I feel confident that the heatertreater I installed will last the life of the vehicle. I don't want to make a hobby out of fixing my blend door.

Back