• Register Today It's free!

blend door or not???

c-dooxp girl

Reaction score
City, State
canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport
I have a 97 Explorer sport that the heat is stuck on. When I turn the knob to MAX ac and ac it does not blow ice cold just semi cool, just before this problem I had the AC recharged and a switch replaced at the dealer. Is this a blend door problem or can it be the switch behind the blend knob??? I have been reading about the blend door problem and alot of people say they still have ice cold air in the ac position.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it sounds to me like it is ur blend door..if when everything is working properly u turn on the AC and put the heat to full the AC will only blow luke warm air...if u turn the vents to cold with the AC on itl blow as cold as it can so if ur blend door is stuck in the "heat" only position then it seems to reason that it would blow luke warm air..hope that helped

Been there. Blend door!

Im there: blend door.

Actually i realized that was the problem with mine in january and accidentally got it stuck on cold air.. i had to take it all apart and get it stuck of full hot (cause it was winter)

In about two weeks im gonna open it up again and get it stuck on full cold for the summer.. then change it back for the winter :D

sk1er17 did yours exzbit any symptoms before craping out on u?

not that i know of cause i never used my AC much. My aunt actually told me one day she borrowed my truck and said it would only get cold on Max... i didnt think anything of it till during the winter i noticed that it was stuck on full heat...

RAZOR said:
Been there. Blend door!

How did you fix it??? If I do the fix that I found on here (by drilling the actuator pin) will it work in heat and cold or just in one position. Thanks for the response! :chug:

c-dooxp girl said:
How did you fix it??? If I do the fix that I found on here (by drilling the actuator pin) will it work in heat and cold or just in one position. Thanks for the response! :chug:
I didn't my Ford dealer did at 53,900 mi. under warrantee. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I just read a 174 posts over on the Ford truck entheusists forum and it seems to work and last. I gonna have to get to it soon as its getting warmer in MI.

You can always do a search for Blend Door Fix to see how to fix it. You will see my pictures on my thread and know why it took me 2 days to fix.

Mine just started blowing warm air out the floor vents even when everything is off. The AC is cold but doesn't blow hard at all, not like it used to. Sounds like I finally have to tackle this blend door.

c-dooxp girl said:
This fix restores full functionality in both heat and cold. Did mine about a month ago; still works great!

xmas63 said:
This fix restores full functionality in both heat and cold. Did mine about a month ago; still works great!

Thanks guys for the response :) I am going to try the fix this weekend
Wish me luck!!!!

c-dooxp girl said:
Thanks guys for the response :) I am going to try the fix this weekend
Wish me luck!!!!
Hey, let me give you a piece of advice that helped me a lot...

I tried to read up as much as I could about this fix before I did it, so that I could understand what exactly it is that I'm doing. One of things that concerned me is that it seemed like different people had to place the pin at different angles in order for the fix to work, and it seemed like no one could clearly describe how to go about determining the proper angle for each individual situation.

If you're in the same situation as I was (limited auto repair experience, and not being able to completely visualize the problem and the fix), let me tell you that once you get in there and SEE how this works and SEE what the problem is, everything will become a lot clearer. Before you start drilling holes in the actuator pin, understand what it is that you're doing---this will allow you to determine the proper angle. Also, I read about someone using Play-Doh to make a mold of the broken part. This was a HUGE help in determining the proper angle, as the broken part cannot be seen (without the use of a small mirror).

Good luck!

:uk: Just thought id give u my take on the fix. The play doe idea is great cos not all break in the same place it wasnt until i used this that i finally got the nails (i had to use 2) in the right place.Also many posts ive read state the bolts on the actuator just pop off. Beware mine were threaded and needed a spanner. Being a complete mechanical baffoon i cant believe i fixed this and it still works so keep the faith and good luck.

Help!!!

:banghead: Okay guys I need help!!
I tried three times to drill the pin in the right place but I still does not work the last time I drilled it on the opposite side, tried it and now it is stuck in cold!!!!
The pin is starting to look like swiss cheese with all the holes drilled
ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!! :banghead:

sounds familiar. the problem i had was there was only about a third of the plastic left in the hole so i had to put two nails at 45 deg angles to catch both ends of the broken plastic in order for the nails to turn it. the nails need to sit in the groove also where the plastic is missing One problem i had was that i was drilling off centre and the nail was just popping out of this groove and not catching the plastic. This is where the playdoe can help. dont give up!!

we need to get some pictures in this thread because ive had mine apart,,, and truthfully i just dont understand what you guys are drilling and putting nails through,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sk1er17 said:
we need to get some pictures in this thread because ive had mine apart,,, and truthfully i just dont understand what you guys are drilling and putting nails through,

If you go to 96eddierbauer's reply above there is a link to the blend door fix that shows you step by step what you are doing it even has pics!!!
Good luck :)

Back