• Register Today It's free!

blend door problem

kenderish

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4X4
I've read all of the blend door fixes and wish that they could help me. I am about to cut my box open just to set my mind straight but before that happens I would like to know if anyone out here can help me. My 95 XLT is stuck on cold, can't get any heat. I have hot hoses on both sides of the heater core and the control valve is moving when I switch from MAX AC to anything else. I have seen on these forums where the majority of blend door problems have it where you can't turn off the heat (which would be a blessing for me right now), I can't get any heat. I don't think that this eliminates a broken door from being my problem. Now, when I take off the actuator motor and stick my finger down the hole, I can't feel anthing for the actuator to hook into. I feel the V, but can't feel anything else. Do you think that my door is destroyed or has moved so far away that I can't feel it? I know that my finger is going in deeper than the actuator pin so I imagine that the fix won't work in my situation. Can anyone help me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate the blender box

:salute: If you attempt to fix this old box then I salute you friend. With some search you can find some directions on a temp fix and replacement (try other forums also), and even I have posted a thread on this. Mine is broken. I am lucky as i can get both heat and cold, but clicks very loudly all the time, no matter what. If you dont feel the door, I would bet it is broken. Any fix you do to that old box is "iffy" at best for long term use. The new box is not like the old one, and is expensive to replace, but we can thank ford for that along with the rest of the crap,lol. :thumbsup:

did u use a mirror and look into the blend door? it can get stuck on either hot or cold, hot is just more common.

Blender box

Well, you can use a mirror, one of those extendable ones from a parts house works well, and a nice bendable flashlight :D . My two uncles have lots of tools, so I lucked out there. I used a mirror to check it yes, along with one of those long bendable lights like mechanics use, they dont cost that much from what I understand, and can be usefull later on when working on this truck, which will happen i'm afraid:mad: .

http://www.alldata.tsb.com/techtips/2003/20030323c.html
http://proacshops.com/artman/publish/article_22.shtml
http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/exp.html

these three url's can help. the second or third one is more helpfull.

Hope this helps more. there is more info out there on the web, just search google with different words like "explorer heater","explorer blender box" and such. ;)

ummm, if you have hot in and hot out i doubt your heater core is plugged, how about remove the servo motor/actuator with the key on and turn from hot to cold, if the actuator moves 99.9% its the broken door.

thanks for the help, guys. My actuator works, hot hoses on both sides of the heater core and I have looked into the hole with a mirror. I have fished around with a coat hanger and can't get the door to move (I would be happy with the 'heat only' problem that most here have had). I guess that I'm going to have to just cut into the box, fish out the broken door, replace it then fix my blend box. It doesn't look like a huge job, I just hope that I don't cut my fingers off.

thanks for the help, guys. My actuator works, hot hoses on both sides of the heater core and I have looked into the hole with a mirror. I have fished around with a coat hanger and can't get the door to move (I would be happy with the 'heat only' problem that most here have had). I guess that I'm going to have to just cut into the box, fish out the broken door, replace it then fix my blend box. It doesn't look like a huge job, I just hope that I don't cut my fingers off.

Just came across this post. I have the "No Heat" issue. My mechanic said it is a 7 plus hour job to replace the door. I won't spend that if I can resolve the issue myself. I am wondering whether or not you were successful in cutting into your box. I have been thinking of doing the same. If you have, what difficulties did you encounter, and were you able to fix it?

The pictures really show, that it isn't that difficult to do. When you guys do yours. Post back your details on how it went.

My blend door hasn't broke yet......I want to be prepared for when it does!

Dean

If your blend door has not broken, I suggest that you don't turn your heat or cold all the way. It seems that the actuator turns farther than the door will move, probably to make the door snug. I think that this contributes greatly to the possibility of breaking the shaft of the door.

I just (or rather my son just) fixed this problem on my 97. And yes, it was stuck in cold-only mode.

None of the other replies seemed to mention that NAPA sells a $10 kit to replace the blend door that gives you a new door and related parts. We did end up cutting a hole into the housing so we could access the part. We just glued it back in place when done. Heat now works just fine.

The fix took the better part of an afternoon, but would have gone more quickly if we had decided to cut the hole sooner.

Good luck

I just (or rather my son just) fixed this problem on my 97. And yes, it was stuck in cold-only mode.

None of the other replies seemed to mention that NAPA sells a $10 kit to replace the blend door that gives you a new door and related parts. We did end up cutting a hole into the housing so we could access the part. We just glued it back in place when done. Heat now works just fine.

The fix took the better part of an afternoon, but would have gone more quickly if we had decided to cut the hole sooner.

Good luck

Where exactly did you cut the housing? Bottom? Front? How big? Anybody got a picture of the hole they cut?
Thanks!

If your blend door has not broken, I suggest that you don't turn your heat or cold all the way. It seems that the actuator turns farther than the door will move, probably to make the door snug. I think that this contributes greatly to the possibility of breaking the shaft of the door.

Thanks Kenderish for the tip, I only turn the knob to the 3 and 9 O'clock positions.

Dean

Good luck

Can you be a little more specific about that kit please. I just called Napa and asked them about it and they knew nothing about it and couldn't find anything listed for it. TIA

Heater Blend Door

The part is called a "Heater Blend Door Repair Latch", part number BK6601810. www.napaonline.com shows it at $10.99. Hope this helps.

I got a kit on ebay that included a template to cut and a replament cover to put over the opening. It was very easy. My door was broken in two.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

www.rockauto.com has it as well. I just fixed mine but I went in from the bottom. If you look at the bottom of the box you'll see a little nub. I cut around that, then there was a little groove beside the nub I cut down that towards the firewall, then back towards the driver side, then back to the nub, litte triangle. Took that out, then reached up inside, ripped out the old door, installed the new one, glued the plastic back in place and done, everything works now....well once I fix the leak in my a/c and get it charged.

Back