• Register Today It's free!

Blinded by trim

wickncsu

Reaction score
City, State
Chapel Hill NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 XLT 4X4
Is anyone else being blinded by the shiny reflective trim around the instrument panel, door handle, gear shift know, gear shift trim, etc? I finally put masking tape on several things to keep from getting blinded. It doesn't look good and am looking for a more appealing permanent fix.

Any ideas out there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is kind of crude but if you take steel-wool (or a very fine grit sandpaper) to those metal pieces, it will dull it down and the reflection will be minimized and scattered.

The glare bugs me too.

I purchased a Coverking dash cover to fix it, didn't solve the problem. It isn't so much the dash materials, although the cover helped, its the angle of the windshield. It's just right that it picks up a reflection of the dash. I don't know that there is a real solution, other than moving the windshield. I imagine that some materials reflect more than others, but fact of the matter is, there is no "real"fix.

Was he originally referring to the chrome trim around the instrument panel?
Because that is what drives me crazy.

I assume so, I thought he was referring to the fact that it reflects in the windshield, which is a huge problem noted by others in this forum. As I read it again, he may be just referring to the flash of the chrome in general, which is an easy fix. I saw on ebay that they sell kits to change your interior. You can make it carbon fiber, wood or whatever you want. It covers all of the "chrome" plastic. That would be better than masking tape, or sanding/scuffing since t could be removed in the future. I am still stuck on the horrible reflection in the windshield from the dash.

wear Polarized glasses and "glare begon".

yep....that's my solution. can't imagine how ticked off I'd get on a daily baisis with cheap (or no) sunglasses.

Best glasses

I wear a pair of the best glasses in the world Maui Jims, of course polarized, they help, but I am not concerned with glare, its a no sh*t reflection of the dash on the windshield.

I wear a pair of the best glasses in the world Maui Jims, of course polarized, they help, but I am not concerned with glare, its a no sh*t reflection of the dash on the windshield.

its a no sh*t reflection of the dash on the windshield
What???????

Mine are the cheapest in the world $5 at PepBoys and difference between normal sunglasses and them are night and day. Glare is reduced at least 90+% IMHO.
I can't stand to see the reflection of anything from the dash on the window, but don't get it with my glasses on. wait gonna run out and check...I believe the angle of the light is low enough to be stopped by the polarized lense.

I get my reflection whether I am wearing my cheap Oakleys or my nice glasses. It may be a position problem. Where I sit in my seat my be a bad angle. But I know that others have this problem. There is a thread on edmunds.com explorer forum. And I do agree completely, the glasses are a requirement, I would be completely blind without them.

I hear ya.

in my old age....the glare is kicking my arse....lol (35). I have been looking for a night time pair of polarized, since every **** is driving with HID and Purple lights all the damn time. I saw Blue few days ago and I could hardly see the road.

weird....I have maui jims and they get rid of all reflections for me. I can litterally take them off and immediately be annoyed by the dash or trim reflecting on the windshield. I use both the dark grey and amber glasses with sucess. As someone else mentioned, it must be a seating position issue. very strange.

My dad commented on that trim the first 5 minutes we had our '07. I don't seem to have a problem with it. But it definitely catches the light sometimes.

I would put some tint on the window to minimize glare... It not only looks good, but it also helps keep the car cool. I guess it depends on where the glare is, i used to have a glare on my 99 from my dash becasue i kept it extra shiny.. I put on a 15" inch eyebrow and helped my problem

I would put some tint on the window to minimize glare... It not only looks good, but it also helps keep the car cool. I guess it depends on where the glare is, i used to have a glare on my 99 from my dash becasue i kept it extra shiny.. I put on a 15" inch eyebrow and helped my problem

Ok, so i did an experiment. Its definitely not a seat position problem. My wife gets the same glare I do and she is 7 inches shorter than me. So I tried an experiment. I taped newspaper across the top to simulate tint (about a 12" strip), and low and behold, the glare was gone. So now I gotta find out cali's laws on tint on the windshield, I think its 8 inches, but I am not sure. Hopefully this will solve our problem, can't believe I never thought of it before...Thanks for the advice.

First thing I bought for my new '06 was a dash cover and no regrets. It is a black carpeting material that covers ALL glare, including the chrome. It fits well, especially after a month of sun. I don't use the sticky velcro to tack it down. I highly recommend it. As a little test drive on a sunny day with a dark colored towel on half the dash. Bet you will be amazed at the difference.

Ok, so i did an experiment. Its definitely not a seat position problem. My wife gets the same glare I do and she is 7 inches shorter than me. So I tried an experiment. I taped newspaper across the top to simulate tint (about a 12" strip), and low and behold, the glare was gone. So now I gotta find out cali's laws on tint on the windshield, I think its 8 inches, but I am not sure. Hopefully this will solve our problem, can't believe I never thought of it before...Thanks for the advice.

Did yours come with the factory tint across the windshield? I found it suprising ours didn't.

Was he originally referring to the chrome trim around the instrument panel?
Because that is what drives me crazy.

Wow, I'm gone two days you and guys have it figured out!
I have seend the reflection of the dashboard but I am usually blinded by the chrome trim. I've found that if you lean to the left (maybe it's right) the glare of the dash is minimized. I'll try to find the covers for the chrome trim.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume so, I thought he was referring to the fact that it reflects in the windshield, which is a huge problem noted by others in this forum. As I read it again, he may be just referring to the flash of the chrome in general, which is an easy fix. I saw on ebay that they sell kits to change your interior. You can make it carbon fiber, wood or whatever you want. It covers all of the "chrome" plastic. That would be better than masking tape, or sanding/scuffing since t could be removed in the future. I am still stuck on the horrible reflection in the windshield from the dash.

Where did you find it on Ebay? I just looked and maybe not calling it the right thing.

Back