• Register Today It's free!

Blinker only goes 3 times?

Jake's Dad

Reaction score
City, State
Brighton, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT, AWD 5.0 302
Is this how everyone else's blinkers work? I turn on the blinker, it goes 3 times and turns off no matter what the driving/steering wheel placement is.

JD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

push it just a little farther and it will stay on, the reason for the 3 blinks is it is ment for a simple lane change

Hey JD,
Congrats on your new Explorer. The turn signal lever, either way, has 2 positions and don't operate mechanically as previous models. One light push and it blinks 3 times for lane change and stops. A stronger push until the lever stops and release, will blink continuously until canceled. To cancel, just push the lever either way to the first stop position.
Hope this helps. Owner Guide describes the procedure.
ATB,
Bobby.

Thank you!

I've heard this feature referred to as "Tap to Pass" on other marques. Love it!

2 of my 3 cars do this, and it annoys the heck out of me that my '08 Infiniti (daily driver) doesn't.

Tim

I've heard this feature referred to as "Tap to Pass" on other marques. Love it!

2 of my 3 cars do this, and it annoys the heck out of me that my '08 Infiniti (daily driver) doesn't.

Tim
It is a nice feature but 3 blinks is too short. The entire turn signal system is not definitely not one of my favourite items on the Explorer.

Peter

Because you are old school peterk9 lol lol !!

Because you are old school peterk9 lol lol !!
You got that right. And now I'm starting to find that it is getting a bit too cold to keep using my hand signals. :D

Peter

Hope u and yours are doing great pal !!

Personally I really like this feature, having grown accustomed to it in other vehicles.

I love the feature to, but also think it should be 4 or 5 blinks.

I like the feature but agree the 3-4 blinks you get isnt enough.

I also HATE the right turn blinker... everytime I flip it all the way, for a more "lengthy" turn, I flash my brights. Anybody else have this problem? Doesnt happen on the left.

I like the feature but agree the 3-4 blinks you get isnt enough.

I also HATE the right turn blinker... everytime I flip it all the way, for a more "lengthy" turn, I flash my brights. Anybody else have this problem? Doesnt happen on the left.

Yeah, other people do (including myself). There is a thread floating around here somewhere that talks about this :) The general consensus is that the detent on the blinker arm is too stiff.

Never flashed anyone in 18 months. Could be because ive had this type of feature in my previous vehicle since 2002

Found that if you want to cancel out the turn blinker, just notch the signal light back into a turn position (up or down) and it cancels out the signal instead of pulling the arm back to the nuetral (no blinker) detent.

Found that if you want to cancel out the turn blinker, just notch the signal light back into a turn position (up or down) and it cancels out the signal instead of pulling the arm back to the nuetral (no blinker) detent.
That's exactly the thing I don't like about the system. If you have the signal on and happen to hit the stalk again, it cancels the signal even though you still need it to be on. I've done that a few times. :banghead:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's exactly the thing I don't like about the system. If you have the signal on and happen to hit the stalk again, it cancels the signal even though you still need it to be on. I've done that a few times. :banghead:

Peter
I've never done that ..... So it's taken over a year for me to find that it does it! :)

Back