Blinker only goes 3 times? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blinker only goes 3 times?

Change to 3-blink turn signal option

With my 2013 Explorer, it has the momentary 3-blink turn signal option. You tap the lever and it blinks 3 times. Is there any way to make this longer?

Hey I use my signal all the time and 3 blinks is not enough for most uses for a turn signal. 3 blinks is even less than those who have the signal linking to the wheel being turned at an intersection (haha). 3 blinks is not enough for a real indication of a lane change and then changing lanes.

Is there any way to extend this out, say to 8-12 blinks ?

Frolin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With my 2013 Explorer, it has the momentary 3-blink turn signal option. You tap the lever and it blinks 3 times. Is there any way to make this longer?

Hey I use my signal all the time and 3 blinks is not enough for most uses for a turn signal. 3 blinks is even less than those who have the signal linking to the wheel being turned at an intersection (haha). 3 blinks is not enough for a real indication of a lane change and then changing lanes.

Is there any way to extend this out, say to 8-12 blinks ?

Frolin
Using the Forum's handy 'Search' function I found this thread and merged yours with it. To answer your question, NO, you can not change it. On another note, I was very happy to learn that the 2016 no longer has this very frustrating (to me) turn signal lever. Apparently it has been replaced with the better (IMO) older style lever that doesn't automatically return to the neutral position right after activating the signal.

BTW, you other post on 'redial' has been moved to the IVT sub forum since it has nothing to do with the turn signal.

Peter

This is my first vehicle that does this..and it's a very underrated feature if you ask me...love it

3 blinks is too short, you pretty much have to swerve into the other lane before it cancels. Don't know why ford programmed it so short, should be user programmed, useless function unless you like to give as little warning to others as possible you are changing lanes or turning

3 blinks is too short, you pretty much have to swerve into the other lane before it cancels. Don't know why ford programmed it so short, should be user programmed, useless function unless you like to give as little warning to others as possible you are changing lanes or turning

I have several vehicles with this and like it very much, 3 is perfect IMHO. It will blink more if you press up or down farther. :eek:

I totally agree. I think 6 blinks would have been better. I find 3 blinks is just about right to show your indication of changing lanes but then it stops just as you're about to actually do it.

Peter

That's why I never use the momentary indicator feature. The 3 blinks is what you should usually do to indicate before you turn, it catches other drivers off guard. If you were to just blink 3 on a drivers test you would end up racking points. The point being it should be a user changeable feature, everyone has their own safe and unsafe driving styles.:D

I have several vehicles with this and like it very much, 3 is perfect IMHO. It will blink more if you press up or down farther. :eek:

GM vehicles that I have owned are the same 3. Must be the engineers not listening to marketing just like the oil change intervals.

We have 2 MINI Coopers. They have the 3-blink feature too. I'm glad Ford incorporated it into their vehicles.

I also think 3 flashes is too few, but 6 would be a lot. 4 or 5 would be perfect. I don't need the signal to continue much past the point where I start the lane change. Once I have crossed the line, why would I still need to indicate that I intend to cross the line?

And contrary to what many idiots on the road think, the signal is not a warning to other drivers that they should make room for your punk@ss to move over, it is only to indicate your intention to change lanes AFTER it is already clear and safe to do so.

too many hot heads on the roads wondering why they are victims of roads rage, I only would feel bad for them if they blame the 3 blinks getting the best of them.:D It does work great for open roads but in many places signalling isn't necessary if there is no traffic.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section6.5.0.shtml

"Signal
Turn on your signal when there is enough space for you to change lanes. After signalling, check your blind spot one more time before starting to move into the other lane. Your signal should be on soon enough to give traffic behind you time to react to the signal. If traffic in the lane you are moving into is heavy, you may turn on your signal before there is enough space to change lanes. This will let traffic behind you know that you are looking for a space to change lanes."

You never know when that jackass from the car behind you decides to draft and NASCAR past you.

I liked the "old" Ford style that the 11-15 had of the spring loaded - no "notch" for longer turns... but think too many complained as it was different. I like the 3 flash but hold longer for more or push harder to get continuous flashes until cancelled ("old" was to push again and the "new" is to "pull" from the notch/held in position).

BTW our VW allows the user to select in the menu 3-5 flashes for the lane change.

I liked the "old" Ford style that the 11-15 had of the spring loaded - no "notch" for longer turns... but think too many complained as it was different. I like the 3 flash but hold longer for more or push harder to get continuous flashes until cancelled ("old" was to push again and the "new" is to "pull" from the notch/held in position).

BTW our VW allows the user to select in the menu 3-5 flashes for the lane change.

It really should have been 5 or 6 flashes the least. 3 flashes isn't enough for a turn.

It really should have been 5 or 6 flashes the least. 3 flashes isn't enough for a turn.

I don't believe it's designed for a turn.

To not set up a
ms_twss.jpg

"Push harder" on the 11-15 turn signal stalk to get the continuous turn signal vs. the tap for 3 flashes.

Back