BLIS on 2013 Ford Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BLIS on 2013 Ford Explorer Limited

z0rbadelic

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Callsign
KG4JYA
Hello All,

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited WITHOUT BLIS or Cross Traffic Alert. How difficult would it be to install this feature on my own. Are the wiring harnesses already installed, and I merely need to get the correct corner panel, sensor, and mirrors?

Thanks
Mike T.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Mike. I think that would be quite a project, if it is doable, that is.
The Blind Spot Radar units for BLIS are in the $650 - $700 range each. They are mounted behind the rear quarter panel just ahead of the wheels. Since this is not an aftermarket option, I doubt the wiring would be there. I don't know if the Cross Traffic Alert sensors and wiring can be incorporated into your existing body panels or not. To actually get new body panels you would then also have to get them painted to match your vehicle which is about 4 years old so it may be a problem getting an exact match. The mirrors appear to run around $300 plus or minus and will probably require painting as well. I think there would also have to be a connection to the vehicle's warning system. It doesn't appear anyone has posted about trying to add this but someone may have a better understanding of what is involved.

Peter

Thanks for the reply Peter. My 2013 Limited has the rear parking assist sensors. Yesterday I walked around the parking lot where I work and noticed a 2013 XLT with the Blind Spot Alert mirrors. I noticed that it only had four rear sensors just like my explorer. So the question now is, do I only need the mirrors to enable this feature on my Explorer since it already appears to have the sensors but they are being used for a different system.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Mike T.

Thanks for the reply Peter. My 2013 Limited has the rear parking assist sensors. Yesterday I walked around the parking lot where I work and noticed a 2013 XLT with the Blind Spot Alert mirrors. I noticed that it only had four rear sensors just like my explorer. So the question now is, do I only need the mirrors to enable this feature on my Explorer since it already appears to have the sensors but they are being used for a different system.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Mike T.
Hi Mike. You will require at least the 2 radar units mentioned in my initial reply. They are what triggers the BLIS alert. The existing sensors might be able to be used for the Cross Traffic Alert if all it takes is some reprogramming. Just a guess though.

Peter

4 bumper sensors are part of Park Aid.

The BLIS sensors are hidden behind bumper and are for the cross traffic/blindspot detection.

You will have to add all the wiring to get these to work. Ford hasn't had prewired options on a vehicle in years (I would say close to 15).

Thanks for jumping in. I wasn't aware that the BLIS radar units also functioned as the Cross Traffic Alert system. I had the rear bumper sensors on the MKT but did not have the Self Parking option. I believe they operated as the Proximity Sensors.

Peter

Ok I went out and took another peek at the Explorer in my parking lot here at work. Sure enough, in front of the rear tires I saw a radar unit that I had not noticed. I was a little confused in my earlier reply thinking that the two outside parking sensors somehow facilitated the BLIS alert.

That really stinks about the wiring harness, but it makes total sense. I seem to remember older Fords having all the wiring they needed. Now I barely see any :)

I suppose I will just have to employ some after market solution for blind spot alerting. The lower profile of these Gen 5's seems to encourage a rather large blind spot. At least one that is larger than the Gen 3 I used to own.

Thank you all for you input.

Ok I went out and took another peek at the Explorer in my parking lot here at work. Sure enough, in front of the rear tires I saw a radar unit that I had not noticed. I was a little confused in my earlier reply thinking that the two outside parking sensors somehow facilitated the BLIS alert.

That really stinks about the wiring harness, but it makes total sense. I seem to remember older Fords having all the wiring they needed. Now I barely see any :)

I suppose I will just have to employ some after market solution for blind spot alerting. The lower profile of these Gen 5's seems to encourage a rather large blind spot. At least one that is larger than the Gen 3 I used to own.

Thank you all for you input.
You can't see the radar units. They are behind the body panel. Do you not have the small convex mirror in the upper corner of your mirrors? Even though I have BLIS I have also added small 2" convex mirrors on both outside mirrors. Have done so for as long as I can recall. Always the first 'mod' to any of my vehicles. I find them handier than BLIS and are great for parking as well.
IF you were referring to the item in the picture, that is part of the aerodynamics.

Peter

P3220192a.JPG

I was referring to that :) And yes I do have convex heated mirrors that fold away at the press of a button.

Back