Block Heater Not Working? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Block Heater Not Working?

calb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 AWD Explorer Limited
I had noticed the one prior time that I had plugged in my block heater it didn't seem to make a difference - thought it was my imagination though.

So the temperatures were dropping here and I plugged in the block heater and a timer last night. I came out this morning, noted the cord was lit up (so I know electricity was flowing), opened up the hood, and felt the block heater pad and it was .... not warm (after 2+ hours of being on).

Before I take it to the dealer, is there any special switch I should have used to turn this on, other than just plugging it in?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found this in another thread:

2011ExplorerXLT,

This is Seni with Ford Customer Service. First, congrats on your new purchase! Second, I have to admit, you took this girl for a spin around her resources LOL. After a hardy search, I found the information on pages 274-276 of the owner's manual (3rd printing.)

To answer your questions:

1. Your factory installed block heater system does not have a thermostat; however, maximum temperature is attained after approximately three hours of operation. Block heater operation longer than three hours will not improve system performance and will unnecessarily use additional electricity. Make sure system is unplugged and properly stowed before driving the vehicle. While not in use, make sure the protective cover seals the prongs of the engine block heater cord plug.

2. The block heater system is most effective when outdoor temperatures reach below 0°F (-18°C).

I hope this helps! If you ever need to access your owner's manual or would like to view the latest printing, go to www.FordOwner.com. You can also register to receive service coupons and driving tips. In the future, please feel free to PM me with any concerns you may have. Thank you.

Seni

...Before I take it to the dealer, is there any special switch I should have used to turn this on, other than just plugging it in?...
calb,

It looks like jumpervb already “jumped” in to help. ;)

Found this in another thread:

2011ExplorerXLT,

This is Seni with Ford Customer Service. First, congrats on your new purchase! Second, I have to admit, you took this girl for a spin around her resources LOL...
Thanks for pasting that, jumpervb.

Seni says she still finds herself spinning around her resources. :D

Cory

I had noticed the one prior time that I had plugged in my block heater it didn't seem to make a difference - thought it was my imagination though.

So the temperatures were dropping here and I plugged in the block heater and a timer last night. I came out this morning, noted the cord was lit up (so I know electricity was flowing), opened up the hood, and felt the block heater pad and it was .... not warm (after 2+ hours of being on).

Before I take it to the dealer, is there any special switch I should have used to turn this on, other than just plugging it in?

Thanks in advance!
No switches to turn on. Just plug it in. I believe it warms the coolant in the engine block. I can't recall the last time I used one. It was -19C (-2F) this morning but only -10C (14F) in the garage. With the windchill it was -30C (-22F) but later in the week it is supposed to climb back into the + degrees C.

Peter

Presumably that black pad on the underside of the hood should feel warm though? Had it plugged in for over 2+ hours.

Guess I'll take her to the dealer to be checked out.

Thanks everyone!

Presumably that black pad on the underside of the hood should feel warm though? Had it plugged in for over 2+ hours.

Thanks everyone!

When you stated the Explorer, did the heat blow warn/hot faster? This will tell you if it was working, too.

I have not plugged mine in yet in almost a year. I just use the remote start function. Works great.

Thanks everyone!
I don't think the warmth will be felt there, especially if parked outside.
The heater should blow warm air quicker if the block heater is working as Bill mentioned in the above post.

Peter

I didn't notice the air blew warmer faster, but there was a sudden drop in temperature too, so faster is probably relative. I thought that blanket attached to the underside of the hood was the block heater, as it has an electrical circuit going to it?

I did test the circuit on the block heater and the circuit was live, so the last thing I could think of was to change to another one of the plug outlets on the cord I'm using. I also increased the time for the block heater to stay on from 2 hours to 3.

This is supposed to be more efficient than remote starting.

I didn't notice the air blew warmer faster, but there was a sudden drop in temperature too, so faster is probably relative. I thought that blanket attached to the underside of the hood was the block heater, as it has an electrical circuit going to it?

I did test the circuit on the block heater and the circuit was live, so the last thing I could think of was to change to another one of the plug outlets on the cord I'm using. I also increased the time for the block heater to stay on from 2 hours to 3.

This is supposed to be more efficient than remote starting.
calb, the block heater I believe is screwed into the engine block to heat the coolant. Normally it replaces one of the frost plugs. I read that somewhere so don't ask me any techinical questions on that last sentence. :D 3 hours is what is recommended. BTW, the 'wire' you see is the line that provides the washer fluid to your windshield washer outlets. They are attached to the hood in this vehicle.

Peter

calb, the block heater I believe is screwed into the engine block to heat the coolant. Normally it replaces one of the frost plugs. I read that somewhere so don't ask me any techinical questions on that last sentence. :D 3 hours is what is recommended. BTW, the 'wire' you see is the line that provides the washer fluid to your windshield washer outlets. They are attached to the hood in this vehicle.

Peter

Ahh, I thought they were electrical for some reason, and that block heater was external. Internal makes more sense, and that would certainly explain why hood isn't warm or giving off heat :)

Thanks everyone!! :)

Back