• Register Today It's free!

Block swap?

DUNE RCR

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 F150 5.4
So I'm in the market to replace/ rebuild my engine as I have just over 220k miles and I'm starting to develop a slight knock. I was wondering if I swapped a good running block from an 89 mustang gt, would I be able to use my edis system, heads, etc. so I can get away from the carb and distributor. ( of course after rebuilding heads ) I would assume the blocks are going to be the same. I just want to make sure before I make any moves. The engine I'm looking at has less the 70k and I can get it for roughly 400.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a stock 89 mustang cam in my mountaineer, I would vote yes.

That's what I was wondering if there was any difference in the block or not. Obviously when I put everything together when I do get another short block I'm going to inspect and measure everything to ensure its all good still. That's my main concern is I the block is different and if I can even interchange my parts over.

harmonic balancer is different.

Am I able to install the one(HB) I have now onto what ever short block I get?

external balance

The Mustang 5.0L is set up for 28 oz of external balance. The Explorer 5.0L is set up for 50 oz of external balance. The external balance is provided by the flexplate and harmonic balancer. It will cost you machine shop time to modify your Explorer harmonic balancer for 28 oz to work with the Mustang engine. That's one reason there are very few Mustang 5.0L engines in Explorers. You'll also need the Mustang flexplate.

Ah ok. Will any truck 5.0 block work(150 series truck or van, or bronco)?

Anything?....

So I had my truck looked at by a master mechanic the other day...he hadn't even heard the truck nor seen it yet, but from the description I gave him of what is happening he said that my lifters are pretty much done. I told him that while I am driving the "ticking" will come and go at random, and before I had a chance to ask him what it could be(lifter, piston slap or rod knock) he cut me off and told me he was 90% sure it was my lifters. He listened to it after that and he said that he is positive some of my lifters keep collapsing and not expanding completely, so my search for a block has ended.....for now.

The Mustang 5.0L is set up for 28 oz of external balance. The Explorer 5.0L is set up for 50 oz of external balance. The external balance is provided by the flexplate and harmonic balancer. It will cost you machine shop time to modify your Explorer harmonic balancer for 28 oz to work with the Mustang engine. That's one reason there are very few Mustang 5.0L engines in Explorers. You'll also need the Mustang flexplate.

I dont know where you heard that, but its wrong. All 5.0ls built after (around) '83 are 50 oz imbalance. The 5.8l and most 5.0l strokers are 28oz.

I'm not worried about block info anymore, at this time anyways. I'm focusing on getting the correct parts I need to rebuild my valve train now. Hopefully my camshaft will still be in decent condition as I can't find any anywhere for anything less then $300. I'm hoping mine will be ok until I can get the money together for a full rebuild, at which point almost all the internals will get replaced.

My mistake

I dont know where you heard that, but its wrong. All 5.0ls built after (around) '83 are 50 oz imbalance. The 5.8l and most 5.0l strokers are 28oz.

According to my Ford Windsor Small Block Performance book in 1981 Ford changed the 5.0L engine balance factor from 28.2 oz/in to 50 oz/in. I guess I assumed that since the Mustang stroker kits were 28 oz all of the stock engines were also. Thanks for the correction!

According to my Ford Windsor Small Block Performance book in 1981 Ford changed the 5.0L engine balance factor from 28.2 oz/in to 50 oz/in. I guess I assumed that since the Mustang stroker kits were 28 oz all of the stock engines were also. Thanks for the correction!

No problem Dale.
I knew they changed the balance at the same time they stopped calling it the 302 and started calling it the 5.0L. I just didnt know exactly what year it was.

New question... Does anyone know how long the push rods are in the 302? I keep getting like 5 different lengths everywhere I look. I don't want to order any until I know the length I need.

New question... Does anyone know how long the push rods are in the 302? I keep getting like 5 different lengths everywhere I look. I don't want to order any until I know the length I need.

Which one? Hydro roller, solid flat tappet, stock, modified, year, etc? There's a reason there are do many choices... They all fit different stock applications.

Stock 99 hydraulic roller gt40p heads

I keep finding two common sizes. 6.805" and one that's shorter, I can't remember the length.

IIRC, They should be around 6.25".

I'm just going to pull mine and measure them then post the size I have. Just hope a shop has mine in stock when I do this. I want to get all the parts so I can just swap them out but Id rather be safe and have the correct size.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Am I able to run flat tappet in my engine? I don't really run high Rpms in my truck.

Back