• Register Today It's free!

blower motor

orion1998_1

Reaction score
City, State
Johnson City, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 mounty
ever since i have had my explorer the blower has only worked on high, there is a wire ran from blower to near coil pack, i assume is switched, if i unhook it no blower. i bought new restior now it will at all speeds, but when i took the wire off it will not work at all. what am i missing? fuses are ok, is there maybe a relay that controls it? where might it be and what is the check for it?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you saying it looks like it was jerry-rigged to run with a random wire? There is a relay in the black box under the hood, also a fuse inside too I believe. You replaced the resistor which is the correct fix for the Hi only fan operation.

yes there is a wire from blower motor to near coil pack, its a switched wire. it looks as if it was put there to by pass resior thing at first? but when removed no speeds work(only high with it hooked up) with new resistor all speeds work, but only with it still hooked up

Have you checked your blower motor fuse at fuse box? If I recall off the top of my head its a 50 amp fuse. I seriously doubt it is blown, but it sounds like you switch is not getting any power from the A/C temperature switch and I would check it just to make sure.

d-1

orion1998_1 said:
yes there is a wire from blower motor to near coil pack, its a switched wire. it looks as if it was put there to by pass resior thing at first? but when removed no speeds work(only high with it hooked up) with new resistor all speeds work, but only with it still hooked up

The motor can be going bad also. I replaced one that would only work on high but worked fine after I replaced the motor.

fuse under the hood? it works at all speeds with new resistor, only with wire hooked up

is the relay in the fuse4 box under the hood? i didnt see any in there, mine has a 40a fuse in it so for some reson it has been changed. any ideas of where else to start tracking?

The 50 amp blower fuse should be in the power distribution box # 12 and it should have a 50 amp fuse in it. It really takes a lot to blow one of these fuses. I assumed you would have already checked this fuse. The blower motor relay is # 6 in the same box, there is no way to test it as far as I know, perhaps try borrowing one and change it out and see if that works. Maybe you can call the original owner and see why he ran that wire as a jumper, it makes no sense why someone would do this.

d-1

orion1998_1 said:
is the relay in the fuse4 box under the hood? i didnt see any in there, mine has a 40a fuse in it so for some reson it has been changed. any ideas of where else to start tracking?

am i missing somthing? i have no relay in the bx its narrow and just has fuses, it s a 2dr if thats a difference, i called autozone and they say blower moter relay is a dealer item, is there a check for it? there is a relay near(inline) to blower not mounted but has a bracket on it

What year is your Explorer? I assume it's between a 1991-1994. If you go to your power distribution box, go to the number 6 location. It's a square part and looks like a fuse and it plugs into the female connectors. I recently purchased one at an O"Reileys Auto Parts Store for $8.00. Autozone did not have one here either. Now the blower motor resistor relay is mounted next to your blower motor and that is a dealer part.

Check your maintenance manual book if you have one.

d-1

orion1998_1 said:
am i missing somthing? i have no relay in the bx its narrow and just has fuses, it s a 2dr if thats a difference, i called autozone and they say blower moter relay is a dealer item, is there a check for it? there is a relay near(inline) to blower not mounted but has a bracket on it

first pic is box, last is it open, middle is a relay close inline to blower, do some have box of fuses and relays?

Your power distribution looks nothing like the one in my Explorer. I have a 94 XLT. Do you have an owners manual? Is yours an XLS or Sport? Does it have electirc windows?

I don't get why someone would run that wire the way they did, where do the ends end up at? You said one goes to the coil, what is the plastic piece on the end?

d-1

orion1998_1 said:
first pic is box, last is it open, middle is a relay close inline to blower, do some have box of fuses and relays?

the small white wire goes from blower motor to coil pack, the red wire is power wire for my amps. mine is a xlt? non power windows/locks

I see, the amp is wired straight to the battery. Yes your power distribution does not have any relays based on what I am looking at. The relays look like small square boxes on mine. Make sure you get an owners manual to see if it has a fuse for the blower motor. It sounds like who ever owned it made a jumper because the fuse kept blowing on it. He probably did not realize that the motor relay was causing the blower motor to run hot and would pop the fuse and may have removed it, then ran the wire. Have you found your owners manual?

d-1

orion1998_1 said:
the small white wire goes from blower motor to coil pack, the red wire is power wire for my amps. mine is a xlt? non power windows/locks

STOCK 91 Explorer 4.0L 4x4 Blower Motor r & r

Some folks might think a failed blower motor is just a "comfort issue" involving the heater and A/C - but it is also a safety issue when you need that defroster to clear your windshield! ;)

Apparently there is a difference in years, particularly on the location of the relay. Since I just finished a r/r on my 91's blower motor thought I would jot down some thoughts on that particular year.

Problem - kept blowing fuses - fan would operate on high position only then blow the 30 amp fuse in the interior fuse panel under the left side of the dashboard.

Replaced the "blower motor resistor" (had to go to Ford and spend a bit over $17 as neither AutoZone nor Kragen had them listed as available). That resistor is located within 8" of the blower motor itself and permits the various speeds for the fan to work. Long story short - blew it also. "Something" was *causing* it to blow and I was running out of time (the wife drives it to work each morning).

Since time is $ too - I simply gathered up a new A/C Relay - another Blower Motor resistor - and a new bower motor itself.

On my 91 - the relay is located on a bracked located underneath and upside down under the main power distribution box attached to the right-front fender. It took a bit of prying to get it loose and I found it necessary to remove the power distribution box first - THEN remove the relay box I found underneath it (this was due to the associated wiring coming in from different directions).

The blower motor is only held in with 3 screws, but you have to remove the air-filter box to get it out of there. I removed the two screws holing the lid, plus one more screw on the engine side of the box and by looking closely was able to see it was just held in with a pair of plastic nipples extending through two flaps with holes in them on the "fender side". A bit of careful prying and I was able to raise the "fender side" of the box up then remove it.

The blower motor is a snap to get out of there - again only 3 screws and a single plug - but there IS a little 5 inch rubber hose that extends from the fan housing back up to the fan motor that you need to remove (pull off) and save. Presumably, its purpose is to take some of the air from the fan and use it to cool the rotor/stator on the motor itself.

My new blower motor box contained only the motor and mount plate - with no other parts what-so-ever. I carefully removed the "squirrel cage" fan from the old one and salvaged the retaining clip and the rubber gasket which was still in good shape - then put it on the new motor. Used small strips of electrical tape to hold the gasket in place during replacement later on.

With the motor still out of the vehicle (giving me a bit of room to work) I went ahead and replaced the freshly burned out blower motor resistor with the "brandy new one".

Re-assembly was a straight-forward reverse process. The new blower motor works fine in all switch positions. :thumbsup:

Of course, now I find I'm going to need to re-charge the A/C system, but there are already some pretty good articles in here on that procedure nd I don't foresee any problems with that part. :chug:

i still have the problem, i want to try relay but rural local (autozone advance and ford dealee) had none or could find a number to cross match

Ok sorry for the thread jack! but i didn't think I should post a new thread for a similar problem. My 94 xlt power everything(now) lol the a/c quit on me while in Philly this weekend, it didn't work in any posisiton. after a day it came back on but not as strong as it used to be and continued to work for a few days and now it stopped again.

I unpluged the connector going to the blower motor and pluged it back in and now its VERY FAINTLY blowing cold air, I checked all associated fuses and they are fine. The connectors on pig tail I examined looked brand new so im out of ideas other then just replacing the motor itself. any help would be greatly apreciated.

Back