blown headgasket upgrade or stock or not | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

blown headgasket upgrade or stock or not

01 limited

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 limited
Ok hopefully some of you guys and gals can give me some advice.

01 explorer limited 5.0 awd 145k miles. Headgasket is gone. Im a Master mechanic. So now that thats out of the way. What do y'all think i should do. I think i can swing about 1000 out of the wife to fix it.

Should i fix it back to stock.

Upgrade the heads while fixing it. Not sure if its worth the bang for the buck since i can't afford Torque Monsters headers. And if so what heads.

Or radiator stop leak and trade it in for a pickup since i want a truck. I use my explorer as a truck and tear up the insides. I just replaced all my interior plastics and seats.

Not sure if i can link my craigslist add but this is mine i was trying to sell it and the gasket went.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4837531218.html

if your a master mechanic just get some ford head gaskets and replace them .why on earth you need 1k to do it?
if the heads are good just reuse them ,your not making a racer . your ex looks nice ,i understand you want a pickup but those arent so good in snow . my ex never let me sitting in snow ,not even heavy deep snow . and in the 12 years i had mine(sport model) i think it put it in 4wheel drive twice .
although it did have auto mode so if a wheel was slipping ,well you know .

pickup or full size ex?hhmmmm hard decision man ,your on your own..lol

Go for it, why not get some more power while you have it apart. Good time to put in a better cam, springs, etc.. Your intake is the GT40 kit for Mustangs, can get by with the stocker and get good results with the better flowing cam. Exhaust headers would be a great way to make more power also but arent cheap. Do the internal engine mods now, headers later. The cam and springs will come in well under a grand, even with gaskets kits and buying a valve compressor tool if you do the work yourself, which is an easy job.

Back