Blown motor?? Let's just swap it out for a v8 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blown motor?? Let's just swap it out for a v8

@Turdle Cats don't have to be a bad thing unless they are under your hood. Meoooowww, as the drive belt turns...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Deleting cats is illegal. You'll have a hard time getting that done for you, as now there are 2 people breaking laws.

Keep front cats, and upstream O2 sensors .
I don’t have any cats so I was planning on running true duals with mufflers.I still have the v6 cats but I feel like they will be restrictive for the v8

PontiSteve is all over Google. Just do a search for him..

I don’t have any cats so I was planning on running true duals with mufflers.I still have the v6 cats but I feel like they will be restrictive for the v8
Since you don't live where someone will check the cats, when you have the exhaust made, get a universal cat or 2. Dyno tests have proven they don't kill power.

Since you don't live where someone will check the cats, when you have the exhaust made, get a universal cat or 2. Dyno tests have proven they don't kill power.
Hey does anyone know what radiator would work for the 5.0 with the manual transmittion being I don’t need the trans cooler lines like the automatic trans

Hey does anyone know what radiator would work for the 5.0 with the manual transmittion being I don’t need the trans cooler lines like the automatic trans
Cap the trans cooler ports.

Get a 1997 V8 explorer AWD. Radiator at AutoZone. Lifetime warranty by phone number , they usually stock em

1997 has more rows than 98 up.

Get a 16 psi rad cap for it.

Be sure to say V8 AWD,. 4wd will confuse the computer since it doesn't exist.

@Ruben9237 are you keeping ac?

My vote is to swap the truck with the auto transmission out of the donor truck. That way everything will be plug n play mostly and keep the swap simple. Then swap to manual after

I would pull the heads before making a final diagnosis. You have to pull the plenum and exhaust manifolds to pull the motor so you're almost there. A 5.0 is nice but first you have to find one. Mustangs got first dibs and junkyards are starting to crush the old Explorers.

I would pull the heads before making a final diagnosis. You have to pull the plenum and exhaust manifolds to pull the motor so you're almost there. A 5.0 is nice but first you have to find one. Mustangs got first dibs and junkyards are starting to crush the old Explorers.
If you'd read the thread, he's way beyond that point of no return.

late for the game here on this one, but then again there are a lot of members that know their stuff that have posted already.
IMO, if you have a donor that has a auto in it already, and a computer that is stock, put the auto in for now, and get it running. work any bugs you might have out first. THEN swap to a manual. one of the big things you would have to also do if you swap to a manual is program the auto trans out of the computer. i know one tuner was mentioned already, i used don at LaSota Racing Technologies for tuning, then bought a program that let me do it on my own (and have now gone to a holley terminator x).
hell, i would sell you my old pcm, and sct pro racer if i knew it would work 100% in your truck.

Hey guys I got off of work today and drove home when I got home I was adding windshield washer fluid and noticed my coolant resavoir was completely full and had over flowed everywhere,I checked the radiator and it was empty so I added coolant and started it back up.I noticed a cloud of white smoke that smelt sweet took the truck for a drive and at idle it putts and feels like it’s misfiring when I got home I turned it off and tryed to restart it and got a click so I pop started it and it started idling again but putting is my motor blown?and what should I do next I have about 10k into this truck already(1999 4.0 ohv 5speed 4x4 4door)
I have been there. Your Head Gaskets, one or maybe BOTH of them are BLOWN. It will NOT fix itself. If you OVERHEAT like I did, the 4.0 Liter Engine is NOT rebuildable. Once it warps it's toast. (Cannot be "milled".) Been there Done that and now have a 2010 G2. Had to call the salvage yard to haul away my beloved 2005 G1 at 230,000 miles. 😭😭😭 If you have not yet OVERHEATED you may still have some options.

It starts after pop starting but runs like garbage thank you for all the help
You hydraulically locked the engine. A cylinder filled with coolant. Pop starting likely destroyed a piston & rod on the hydrolocked cylinder.

The engine is junk.

I'm not sure if you have the mechanical knowledge to do the 5.0 swap. Best to get someone who has experience to do it.

Astrobuf

You hydraulically locked the engine. A cylinder filled with coolant. Pop starting likely destroyed a piston & rod on the hydrolocked cylinder.

The engine is junk.

I'm not sure if you have the mechanical knowledge to do the 5.0 swap. Best to get someone who has experience to do it.

Astrobuf
Not sure you can work a forum . Read the thread

Oh how I love a 5.0+M5R2+4x4 swap!

@Ruben9237 you're clearly passionate about your Explorer, dedicated enough to source the right donor vehicles, and (most importantly) motivated to learn the mechanical skills as you go -- don't let any naysayers convince you otherwise.

When I was your age, all I could do was change oil, rotate tires, and check fluids! Patience and persistence will get you where you need to go and there's a wealth of knowledge in old posts (best ones already shared in this thread) and in the minds of active members on this forum. Best of luck to you, I'm excited to see you pull this off.

Oh how I love a 5.0+M5R2+4x4 swap!

@Ruben9237 you're clearly passionate about your Explorer, dedicated enough to source the right donor vehicles, and (most importantly) motivated to learn the mechanical skills as you go -- don't let any naysayers convince you otherwise.

When I was your age, all I could do was change oil, rotate tires, and check fluids! Patience and persistence will get you where you need to go and there's a wealth of knowledge in old posts (best ones already shared in this thread) and in the minds of active members on this forum. Best of luck to you, I'm excited to see you pull this off.
Hey everyone I haven’t posted in here in awhile so I thought I would update everyone.I got the 5.0 motor in and very close to getting it started.I ordered a computer off of eBay with pats and manual trans deleted for the 5.0 so I lucked out with that.the engine bay is almost complete I’m just waiting on a radiator and a fan and some small stuff like oil and oil filter.I got almost all the parts for the trans,I’m thinking I’m going to have to go to the dealer and get some fly wheel bolts and exaust manifold bolts because I can’t find them anywhere.I just wanted to thank all of you for showing support because almost everyone I know just keeps saying why are you fixing that pos,it’s an exploder,it’s not worth it but I keep pushing through because I know when it’s done it’s going to be bad ass and way better than a squated Tahoe😂.I do have a question tho,does anyone have a vacuum line diagram or know a way to rought just like the essential vacuum line to get it idle and run good,and ac/heat.my goal is to finish it by Halloween,it’s pretty close im.thank you guys ….ps if I dident post it on here my job was nice enuf to let me use there mechanic garage after work and on the weekends so it makes everything so much eaisier

76E5DE14-0EEE-4569-8915-3508E55C3B97.jpeg D6053B56-8CC8-415F-92C3-188F86262893.jpeg 2278E083-62A2-4736-AC48-91EF30BAA71C.jpeg F958ABF5-14F9-43C3-A22F-550AEE6683E0.jpeg 7C093F13-F3C7-495D-8399-5784F06E76B2.jpeg 007EBA35-1BEE-43FC-8280-7D30E18922F7.jpeg 099936E0-0EF3-4A38-B084-F94D9AF2523A.jpeg

Looking good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was told the same thing about fixing up a bronco II many years ago
almost 25 years later, I would not trade it for the world!!

well done so far!!
the 5.0 vacuum lines are fairly straight forward, have you tried a search? Which ones are you having trouble with

wicked good job thus far, you will love having a v8 5 speed!!!

Forget the nay sayers, there is a reason we are all here on the Explorerforum after 25 years or so..........they are wicked tough
Jeepers, Yota guys and chevy dudes will never get it
If these trucks sucked I would have 20 toyotas on my property instead of 20 Ford RBVs!!!!!!!!!

Back