Blown motor?? Let's just swap it out for a v8 | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blown motor?? Let's just swap it out for a v8

Hey everyone I haven’t posted in here in awhile so I thought I would update everyone.I got the 5.0 motor in and very close to getting it started.I ordered a computer off of eBay with pats and manual trans deleted for the 5.0 so I lucked out with that.the engine bay is almost complete I’m just waiting on a radiator and a fan and some small stuff like oil and oil filter.I got almost all the parts for the trans,I’m thinking I’m going to have to go to the dealer and get some fly wheel bolts and exaust manifold bolts because I can’t find them anywhere.I just wanted to thank all of you for showing support because almost everyone I know just keeps saying why are you fixing that pos,it’s an exploder,it’s not worth it but I keep pushing through because I know when it’s done it’s going to be bad ass and way better than a squated Tahoe😂.I do have a question tho,does anyone have a vacuum line diagram or know a way to rought just like the essential vacuum line to get it idle and run good,and ac/heat.my goal is to finish it by Halloween,it’s pretty close im.thank you guys ….ps if I dident post it on here my job was nice enuf to let me use there mechanic garage after work and on the weekends so it makes everything so much eaisier

View attachment 435608 View attachment 435609 View attachment 435610 View attachment 435611 View attachment 435612 View attachment 435613 View attachment 435614
some great progress!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks beautiful.

I was told the same thing about fixing up a bronco II many years ago
almost 25 years later, I would not trade it for the world!!

well done so far!!
the 5.0 vacuum lines are fairly straight forward, have you tried a search? Which ones are you having trouble with

wicked good job thus far, you will love having a v8 5 speed!!!

Forget the nay sayers, there is a reason we are all here on the Explorerforum after 25 years or so..........they are wicked tough
Jeepers, Yota guys and chevy dudes will never get it
If these trucks sucked I would have 20 toyotas on my property instead of 20 Ford RBVs!!!!!!!!!
That’s true about these trucks being pretty good.growing up we always had one and they always out lasted our suburbana.do you know where I can get some fly wheel and exaust manifold bolts I called the dealer and they said there obsolete

flywheel bolt DORMAN 678154

as for the manifold, i have taken a sample of the bolt to a bolt supply store in the past and have them match one up.

That’s true about these trucks being pretty good.growing up we always had one and they always out lasted our suburbana.do you know where I can get some fly wheel and exaust manifold bolts I called the dealer and they said there obsolete
For what the dealer would have charged you (if they could get them) you can get what you need from ARP Fasteners.

For what the dealer would have charged you (if they could get them) you can get what you need from ARP Fasteners.
I just got them from Napa,ford dealer gave me part numbers I got all the manifold bolts and fly wheel for 60$

I just got them from Napa,ford dealer gave me part numbers I got all the manifold bolts and fly wheel for 60$
Nice work!

I was going to suggest trying to find the grade of each bolt and thread pitch/bolt length and just buy generic hardware with the same specs from McMaster-Carr. That's what I've done for odd things like the really long, metric, 10.9 grade body bolts. McMaster is easy to search, fairly reasonable and they ship fast.

Nice work!

I was going to suggest trying to find the grade of each bolt and thread pitch/bolt length and just buy generic hardware with the same specs from McMaster-Carr. That's what I've done for odd things like the really long, metric, 10.9 grade body bolts. McMaster is easy to search, fairly reasonable and they ship fast.
So I thought I got all the bolts turns out the manifold bolts where way to big does anyone know the measurements and tread size I need for the exaust manifold studs/bolts

I don't do V8s (yet) but RockAuto says M12x1.75, 62mm long bolt with a 10mm long stud
1666204290004.png

Hey guys I got a question I’m putting the trans in right now and the throw out bearing/slave cylinder is touching the pressure plate before the bell housing is touching the motor to bolt it down is it supposed to be like that or no?

I've heard and seen the throw out bearing is supposed to be inside the clutch fork prongs, easy to get this wrong.

Hey guys I got a question I’m putting the trans in right now and the throw out bearing/slave cylinder is touching the pressure plate before the bell housing is touching the motor to bolt it down is it supposed to be like that or no?
I've heard and seen the throw out bearing is supposed to be inside the clutch fork prongs, easy to get this wrong.
What do you mean inside the the clutch forks

1666285741983.png

1666285711902.png

My trans doesent have a fork it has the slave cylinder and throw out bearing together

My trans doesent have a fork it has the slave cylinder and throw out bearing together
Hey guys so I got the trans mounted and made a custom cross member for it and I got the motor running I’m running into one problem tho,the ignition will turn the motor off but not start it I have to touch the yellow wire from the starter to power and it will start any suggestions on how to fix that and if anyone has a vacuum line diagram that’s pretty easy to read could someone post it it’s running decent for a motor that came out of a recked truck but I need to do the vacuum lines asap tia

Hey guys so I got the trans mounted and made a custom cross member for it and I got the motor running I’m running into one problem tho,the ignition will turn the motor off but not start it I have to touch the yellow wire from the starter to power and it will start any suggestions on how to fix that and if anyone has a vacuum line diagram that’s pretty easy to read could someone post it it’s running decent for a motor that came out of a recked truck but I need to do the vacuum lines asap tia
Is there a reason why my break pedal feels the same as when the truck is off when it’s running is there something I need to swap over from the v8 truck for my brake system to work properly? And does anyone have a starter wire diagram because my starter is not working with the ignition only if I jumó it’s off but it’s connected with factory wiring diagram any advice helps thanks.

The first thing I’d suspect is the vacuum assist isn’t working for the brakes due to lack of vacuum.!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back