Blue Canyon Poker run May 19th 2012 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blue Canyon Poker run May 19th 2012

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Welcome here..:D

..What type of vehicle are you running on these trails and can you add some more description to this trail run for others here who might be interested..?

My rig is the stakebed at the following links.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/trails-events-expeditions/531045-dusy-ershim-trip-report-oct-2011-a.html

http://forum.ih8mud.com/international-scout/516955-1964-ih-1ton.html

I help open the Dusy-Ershim trail each year and found this site searching "Dusy-Ershim". Some members of this site are planning a trip,so I registered to help them with planning if I could and post this thread. All brands of rigs are welcome at the event.

The run has easy way/hard way options and gets everything from fairly stock rigs to heavily modded rigs. Seems to make both groups happy. I've helped staff the run the last two years,last year helping staff the winch at the top of a tough climb and the year before helping participants decide whether they should take the easy way or hard way at one obstacle.

I've heard people comment that the run "was like going back in time 20 years with the way the rigs are built/tire size". But as soon as you think that a group of hardcore rigs will come along.

Although I don't know the length of the run,it fills up a good part of the day and there are places to opt out and head back to camp if you are broken or have another reason to go back. A good part of the trail is just cruising through the woods,then you will have ruts,off camber or granite steps,rocks,steep hills. At the difficult stuff there will be signs or someone directing you,or both. There are two or three spots where a club member will be stationed with a winch to help out if need be.

Basecamp(where you register,get raffle tickets,t-shirts,meals.etc)is at Bretz Campground. It's 3,300 ft elevation,has a mix of Pines and Oaks,there's a nice creek(Big Creek)running through the campground,it's common to see kids swimming in it,or people fishing. There are trout planted regularly. Many participants camp here,others prefer to go downstream,there are many campsites along the creek.

If more info is needed,just ask.

Thanks
Ed.

I am going to miss this run this year, will be out of town for work. I have been up there 8 of the last 10 years for this run and only did the trail once. I ended up helping the Mountain Toppers with the event. I am glad to see that the Fresno 4wd club was able to step in and keep a long running run alive. Hope they can keep the great tri-tip dinner as well.

We have some pretty eager club members tackling this. I would expect the dinner to be pretty good. Remember some of the Mountain Toppers members that put on the event for many years were also Four Wheel Drive Club of Fresno club members and will still be helping. I helped them run the event the last two years,I was with Bart at the top of Suicide last year.

I always have enjoyed the times I have been out with Bart. It has been a few years sense I was on Suicide with him. I love that dodge he has. Your truck has a few tricks up its sleeve as well. If I wasn't with Bart I was usually on James Watts hill.

Bart and I just did a run down in Calico last weekend,Odessa and Doran Canyons. Had a good time even though it was hot.

I talked to one of the event organizers a while ago and this years dinner will be Tri tip,chicken and hot dogs. He says it will be better than years past.

The run went well,74 registered. Bartman and I worked the top of Suicide again this year,no problems.

Glad here you had a decent turnout. Guess my father in law was up there. I didn't get to make it.

Pictures

Attachments

• Blue Canyon granite bowl play area.jpg
    Blue Canyon granite bowl play area.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Blue Canyon granite steps uphill.jpg
    Blue Canyon granite steps uphill.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 134

Back