Blue Gauges. Help please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blue Gauges. Help please!

I have a 99 xlt and right now the gauges are green. If i install blue leds will it glow blue, or like a blue green? idk how to upload pics on here but i saw one on here that was all blue it was perfect. if i can get it up here i will but i want it all blue. would i have to scratch off a film? ive heard about that but i would really love not to!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

grab a cluster from a 95-97 and put white l.e.d.'s in it. it will come out a perfect blue.

will that fit exactly in my 99? like plug n play? how much do you think it'd be? junk yard's probably my best bet right?

everything will plug in. the only difference is when your door is open, it will say "fuel door" or something like that, instead of "door ajar". other then that, you will have to price led's and the gauges yourself.

Believe this or not I recently experimented with an extra instrument cluster from a 99 X. It had the green color back lite color. I used some 220 grade sandpaper and took my time and it easy sanded off pretty easy. After sanding off the green the color back the overlay is white and you could use blue color bulbs or leds.
Of course there is the problem where you must tear apart the cluster to get to the overlays and also the correct replacement of the needles back onto the gauges but it is doable. Spare clusters for X's are cheap on Ebay.

thank you so much. you guys have answered a ton of questions! helped alot. thanks guys

SANY0539.jpg

:)

If I remember correctly the cluster has the blue tint in it to give it a green effect (yellow light + blue tint = green light). So if you change to white LED's you should get blue

note- you may have to change a couple of your gauges, as some of the earlier gen II gauges had resistors on them, you'll see them on the back. Just a matter of pulling a needle, swapping the '99 gauge to the '95-'97 cluster, and putting the needle back on. I had to swap them on my '95 to get the (IIRC) the fuel and voltage gauges to not peg...

Use white LEDs in the early gauges

Ok, so I have a '03 Sport Trac and have wanted to do the blue lights and black cluster like pictured. What are the differences in the clusters and what owuld I need to do?

Back