Blue Overhead Lighting in Front Seats | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blue Overhead Lighting in Front Seats

ljn21

Reaction score
City, State
Tega Cay, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Picked up my ST last night in Baltimore and drove back to Charlotte, so I had some time to play around with everything as we switched drivers back and forth for the 7 hour drive. One thing we couldn't figure out was how to dim or turn off the blue led lights in the roof console that flank the moonroof controls. Adjusting the ambient lighting would change the door handle intensity and color and cup holders, etc but not those overhead lights. We felt a little like everyone else around us could see into our car, like we had the maps lights on. Is there a way to turn them off or dim them? Change their color from the blue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have those same little blue lights on my Platinum, no way to dim them or turn them off that I know of.
They don't bother me.

TBill

Same here,no bother to me. I actually looked at them last night while driving on the highway because of this thread and found it to be a nice soft ambient lighting.

On my Aviator they are white and I agree with blwnsmoke that they are nice soft light that lets you see the console controls and storage area.

Peter

Thx everyone. My OCD doesnt like that those lights are blue but I had the ambient lights set to pink which was how it came from the factory on mine. If no way to turn off or dim, will have to have the ambient lights set to one of the blues or it will drive me bonkers.

Thx everyone. My OCD doesnt like that those lights are blue but I had the ambient lights set to pink which was how it came from the factory on mine. If no way to turn off or dim, will have to have the ambient lights set to one of the blues or it will drive me bonkers.

You should change your profile when you get a chance it's still showing a 2004 Eddie Bauer Explorero_O

Duct tape fixes everything lol.

Duct tape fixes everything lol.

Lol that was already in my thoughts...hole punch a piece of black electrical tape and cover them up with the punched out circle.

I could be wrong, but I swear mine dimmed when I also dimmed the dash (nob by headlights)

I had a closer look at mine today and they are not white but more of a violet/pinkish/purple colour. From the driver's seat, what you can see of them, they appear to be white.

Peter

I had a closer look at mine today and they are not white but more of a violet/pinkish/purple colour. From the driver's seat, what you can see of them, they appear to be white.

Peter

Weird, just got back from dinner with my family and mine are definitely blue.

Weird, just got back from dinner with my family and mine are definitely blue.

Peter has an Aviator so the interior is different.

They make stickers that block out 50% of the light for your home electronics I have seen at my local Micro Center store and online. Great for the bright light on the cable box in the bedroom. Should work on your console lights too.

They make stickers that block out 50% of the light for your home electronics I have seen at my local Micro Center store and online. Great for the bright light on the cable box in the bedroom. Should work on your console lights too.

Cool idea, will check it out!

Picked up my ST last night in Baltimore and drove back to Charlotte, so I had some time to play around with everything as we switched drivers back and forth for the 7 hour drive. One thing we couldn't figure out was how to dim or turn off the blue led lights in the roof console that flank the moonroof controls. Adjusting the ambient lighting would change the door handle intensity and color and cup holders, etc but not those overhead lights. We felt a little like everyone else around us could see into our car, like we had the maps lights on. Is there a way to turn them off or dim them? Change their color from the blue?
Go to settings and touch display and there you can change your ambient light colors

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would drive me nuts eventually. I'd grab a soldering iron and add or swap values with a series resistor to dim it till it was barely visible.

Back