Bluetooth Disabled?

TwoEcho27

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Interceptor Utility
I have a 2018 Interceptor Utility that, from everything I can see, the mic, the buttons, cables galore behind the center stack, it SHOULD have Bluetooth. However, none of the phone buttons do anything, nor does the Media button. Rear view camera goes to the rearview mirror, does that mean I have absolutely no SNYC or Bluetooth?

I loved the idea of having that camera go to the mirror, did I completely mess up?

And what will it take to get SYNC in there? I'm nowhere near interested in anything aftermarket. I'm trying to keep everything OEM if possible, even if it means spending a few extra bucks.

Doesn't mean I'm going to go crazy on the funds, just saying.

If I can just enable this in the computer, that would be great. Thanks in advance, everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And pressing Phone just mutes the radio.

And pressing Phone just mutes the radio.
Looks like you may have Sync Gen 1.1
I don't know if that was still being installed in a 2018 or not. Perhaps other owners of this vehicle type can comment. Or it is possible that the agency that had it, made changes to the system. :dunno:

Peter

wonder if the dept disabled some stuff? not sure what you can/cant do with 5th gens, but does forscan let you enable stuff?

wonder if the dept disabled some stuff? not sure what you can/cant do with 5th gens, but does forscan let you enable stuff?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm sure the agency that had it disabled stuff. I've found the spreadsheet with the forscan settings, but I'm learly of changing anything until I know for sure what to change and when it comes to the radio, holy crap are there a lot of settings. I can't make heads or tails of it.

Looks like you may have Sync Gen 1.1
I don't know if that was still being installed in a 2018 or not. Perhaps other owners of this vehicle type can comment. Or it is possible that the agency that had it, made changes to the system. :dunno:

Peter
That was my thought, as well. Just need to figure out how to reenable it.

It isn't equipped with SYNC. You just can't simply turn it on.

It isn't equipped with SYNC. You just can't simply turn it on.
So what needs to be added, reprogrammed, swapped out, etc to get this done?

My 2015 PIU has available Bluetooth, but it does not work. It is because the vehicle has it disabled. The only way to get it re-enabled is to take it in and get it flashed with their software. However, you will lose some of the advantages of the vehicles key features. Like shift points, speed regulation will be civilian and few others

My 2015 PIU has available Bluetooth, but it does not work. It is because the vehicle has it disabled. The only way to get it re-enabled is to take it in and get it flashed with their software. However, you will lose some of the advantages of the vehicles key features. Like shift points, speed regulation will be civilian and few others
What do you base this on?

Here are some quick differences between factory equipped sync (bt/usb) versus non sync equipped.

SYNC vehicles have an APIM, USB port, line in and microphone. They have a totally different dash harness along with different steering wheel buttons.

You can’t simply enable SYNC if it wasn’t equipped with it in the first place because it’s missing that hardware listed above that is specific to SYNC. SYNC has nothing to do with PCM programming (police versus civilian)

SYNC can be added but it’s difficult to do. I heard someone makes a kit for it that uses and interface harness to add the apim and microphone by interfacing with several existing harness connectors so you don’t have to replace the entire dash harness.

I heard someone makes a kit for it that uses and interface harness to add the apim and microphone by interfacing with several existing harness connectors so you don’t have to replace the entire dash harness.
And that's what I'm looking for.

And that's what I'm looking for.
Hey i have the same issue with the Ford Explore 2015 Police interceptor, were you able to get the bluetooh working ? please let me know

Hey i have the same issue with the Ford Explore 2015 Police interceptor, were you able to get the bluetooh working ? please let me know
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back