Bluetooth without Sync | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bluetooth without Sync

ALC

Reaction score
City, State
Houston Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 2015 Explorer without Sync. Question: can it be added to the car - how much, or is there a way to get bluetooth through the radio without going to great expense? I need to use my phone a lot and would like it to be hands free.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't remember anyone ever trying that - but if it was even possible, you'd have to replace the head unit for starters, along with whatever is going on behind the scenes, have the dealer program it, etc. Since it's not possible to add navigation to an existing MFT system, I'd guess "no".

If what you are trying to do is get handsfree phone, etc. - best bet is to buy an aftermarket unit. Lots of choices and much cheaper.

It will cost well over $1000 just in parts, then there is labor of tearing the entire dash apart and replacing wire harnesses, installing the parts and the biggie is undocumented as built data alterations that would need to be figured out. Simply put it won't happen.

Spending the small amount of the sticker price to add SYNC is well worth it!

You will have to go aftermarket.

WHat is available on the aftermarket route? Of course, it depends on price

I have a 2015 Explorer without Sync. Question: can it be added to the car - how much, or is there a way to get bluetooth through the radio without going to great expense? I need to use my phone a lot and would like it to be hands free.

Your best bet is an aftermarket head unit with the features you want built in. Search eBay or Amazon (or any number of other stereo - focused sites). You'll wind up with a system with exactly the features you want for less $$$ than the factory option packages. Costs aren't outrageous - complete unit with nav features and more power than the 'basic' system in your vehicle should be doable for < $ 600 all in. A double-DIN head unit, Ford-specific wiring harness, some specialized tools and bezels/trim pieces (available as install kits), plus a few hours of work and you'll be all set.

Second alternative is to go used from a wrecking yard - but the install complexity goes up with the model and wiring mismatch. This means a TSM and wiring manual (or professional install) are necessary.

Why don't you just get one of these units. That's what I used in my 2010 Explorer that didn't have Bluetooth. Worked great and was able to download my phonebook.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-TX55...34619&sr=1-5&keywords=car+bluetooth+handsfree

Welcome to the Forum ALC.:wavey:
I've moved your thread to the "IVT" sub forum.
Also do you still have a 1999 model? That is what your profile shows. If not, it would be a good idea to add the model of your 2015 Explorer to your profile so it shows up in the margin. Not all models have that same options or possible problem resolutions.

Peter

Got one - thanks for the help

Back