have aviator, mkx and had expedition
all were great
drive a 328 bmw convert. picked up in munich
do i pay the extra $ to drive a bmw?
worth it????????
is exped. underpowered?
realize extra $ for bmw which should get back at trade in time
advise please!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends...

My guess is it was written like that because he is a very busy fella, based on that, BMW is the way to go. People that busy can't possibly have time to use turn signals or follow traffic laws, so it would fit in with the BMW crowd I always seem to be surrounded by on the freeway.

I kid I kid, but seriously if you want advice like that, it is usually best to outline what you hope to get out of the vehicle.

I know next to nothing about the BMW, but I can't imagine that a 302A Limited would be even close to how much the BMW would cost (option for option, like counting Navigation, heated/cooled seats, etc).

So unless there is something you really need from the BMW then I say get the Ex. But if you just want the BMW for the nameplate or whatever else, then I guess that is your answer. Comparing an F-150 and an Explorer or something I think its pretty tough. But a Ford vs BMW, you either want a well equipped vehicle with a good price, or you want to pay a lot for a BMW. I like BMW's, but can't imagine one offering me anything I care about over what the Explorer already offers.

Go with the X5. I have a 07 and a 545i and i love them. Make sure you get the CPO warranty if you go used because as you probably know BMW is no joke when it comes to repairs. Also I would recommend getting the 4.8L V8 or it is not worth it at all.

You definitely need to expand on your needs/wants from the vehicle.

If you want to haul 7 people on a regular basis and more than two of those people are more than 5 years old, I would go for the Explorer as the X5 has what I would call "temporary use" third row seats.

If you need to haul something heavy (4000+ pounds) with any regularity, and haul gear/people at the same time, I would go with the X5 as it is a SUPERB tow vehicle and has an extra 1,000 pound towing capacity. Actually, the towing difference is even greater as the Explorer only allows for ~140 pounds of driver/gear before you have to start deducting from the towing capacity whereas the BMW has 6,000 pound sof towing plus ~1,000 pounds of driver/passengers/gear.

If you like "spirited" driving, the X5 wins, hands down. The Explorer is great for the average driver who will never care about vehicle dynamics as long as the ride is nice and quite.

Fuel efficiency is close, but I have to give the nod to the BMW. We average almost 20 in mixed use driving with our BMW and only 18.6 in the Explorer. Curiously, they have very similar EPA numbers....

Both are Made in America. Ford is union, BMW is not.

BMW has been doing luxury for a long time and it shows. Ford is new to the game. BMW iDrive is a pleasure to use. MFT is, well, there it is. BMW climate and radio controls are a pleasure to use. Ford is still learning.

Price is the significant difference, if you are on the edge of affording a $45,000+ car. If the X5 is in your price range than your dollar value is yours. Enough said.

Resale value is a tough call. The X5 is due for a significant refresh in 2013 so the existing model may lose some resale value when the new model arrives. That said, BMW retains value quite well. The Explorer is a new model, so the body style will still be current in 5 years, a definite plus for resale. That said, the MFT issues and other problems are real. How Ford handles them, and how long-term reliability works out is a big question. I own an Explorer and have high hopes that Ford will "Do Right" by us. I know my BMW's have been in the shop for repairs fewer times in a total of 11 vehicle years than our '11 Explorer has in less than 6 months....

I completely, absolutely, without reservation can recommend the X5/X6 as I always enjoy driving it and have yet to find a fault with it. The Explorer frequently leaves me thinking, "Why...." but I am still mostly satisfied with it. If they rework/redesign MFT (not just the 2.11 update), add front parking sensors/display, add daytime running lights, and improve fuel efficency a bit I would be able to recommend it more enthusiastically. I can still say I like the Explorer- it's just not in the same class as the X5/X6.

Also- The Explorer has a requirement for a Weight Distribtuion Hitch if towing over 2,500#. The BMW has no WDH requirement at any weight.

If using a WDH, be sure to include the weight of it in your towing weight calculation.

A big advantage to the Explorer over the X5--- more storage room in back. I can fit my bike in the back without taking off wheels, and it goes in easily. I wish they had been able to make the back 4' 1" wide rather than slightly less than 4'. As it is, a full sheet of plywood can't go in flat.

I own both a 2011 EX and a BMW m3 and the quality of the BMW is way above FORD. Having paid $45K for the Ford I expected some quality, but there is a lot of cheap plastic pieces on this car. When I'm in the BMW i can see where all the money is spent- better quality and a great driving experience. I still like my EXP inspite of what I stated above.

iDrive still sucks. BMW reliabilty, well don't keep it beyond the warranty. Repairs are very high, not quite Lexus high but required far more often. Who ever thought so much computer crap in a car was a good idea should be disimbowled. They aren"t even reliable sitting in the livingroom. Having said all that, we do keep buying them. What can I say, I have a serious need for speed. They have the "M" division, enough said.

iDrive still sucks. BMW reliabilty, well don't keep it beyond the warranty. Repairs are very high, not quite Lexus high but required far more often. Who ever thought so much computer crap in a car was a good idea should be disimbowled. They aren"t even reliable sitting in the livingroom. Having said all that, we do keep buying them. What can I say, I have a serious need for speed. They have the "M" division, enough said.

Have to agree here... they wanted 650$ (and 200$ for labor) to replace a headlight BCM (ballast) on a 2004 mini cooper. It's 3 screws to remove/replace, and a ballast for any other car in the world is between 30 and 120$. The cooper S was our last BMW, and 99% of the reason for that? Cost of repairs beyond the warranty period.

Can't say I wouldn't drive one of those 5 or 6 series "M" models if you gave one to me though ;)

iDrive still sucks.

That made me chuckle. Compared to MFT, iDrive is like using an iPad2. I've had ZERO issues with iDrive in our 2010 X6, no problem pairing phones, etc.

"BMW reliabilty, well don't keep it beyond the warranty. Repairs are very high, not quite Lexus high but required far more often."

As I said previously, I have eleven years of BMW ownership (a 2001 X5 which I still own, a 2010 X6) and neither vehicle had/has had a single non-scheduled maintenance issue in the first 7 years. There was one(?) recall on the X5 for some suspension bushing(?) in the first or second year and that has been it. Once the X5 reached 8 years/~90,000 miles I did have a radiator expansion tank leak and at 110,000 I replaced some bushings which is well within expected longevity for those pieces. The X6 has had ZERO issues in the first 15 months of ownership.

Repair costs are high if you have the dealership do the work, but not incredibly more than Ford rates for labor. Add the fact that my vehicle is always washed, vacuumed, and I have had FREE use of a loaner car while the work was done and the relative costs come down. Add in the three half-days of missed work because of unscheduled work on the Explorer (in 3-4 months) and the net benefit of the BMW exceeds the Ford by a considerable amount of money.

The bottom line on BMW, as I have seen it said elsewhere, is that they are fantastic cars to own. If you have mechanical ability, then you keep them. If you don't enjoy working on cars or can't afford the maintenance, you sell it before the warranty is expired.

"Who ever thought so much computer crap in a car was a good idea should be disimbowled. They aren"t even reliable sitting in the livingroom."
Hehe, I can see how that sentiment arises! The computers are actually very reliable- the operators and programmers are not. ;)

"They have the "M" division, enough said." Agreed.

Ford has Ford Performance Group / SVT. Unleash them on the Explorer!!!!

The X5 xDrive35 is an excellent all around truck, not as spacious as the Explorer, but drives and handles excellent. But the great thing is they have the new 8 speed auto and with the N55 engine not only is it much quicker then the Explorer, but it get's even better mileage. So far 2 people I know with LMTD's are only getting like 22-23 highway and that's at 65-70 mph. My neighbors xDrive35 get's 25 mpg at 70-75. The 8 speed auto and that engine just work so effortless together. I've considered picking one up, and even drive the xDrive50 and imo the 50 is not worth all the extra $$$$, it isn't and doesn't feel that much faster then the 35 and get's quite worse fuel mileage (don't get me wrong it's quicker, but when you look at the numbers on paper you'd think it'd be a night and day difference which is isn't). Actually that was the reason my neighbor got the xDrive35, he too felt the 50 wasn't worth the price difference.

Plus so easy to tune, he has a JB3 tune and the truck hauls ass. I'm still not a fan of iDrive, but it's waaaaay better then the crap setups they had before that made you want to punch the dash trying to use lol.

Really can't compare the Explorer and X5, two completely different vehicles. I would totally get the Explorer if the Ecoboost 6 was an option, I could careless about the annoying roof pinging sound in rain if it had that engine lol

Local Ford labor rates here are $104, BMW $159. Thats about 30% more but my real complaint is the price of parts. As for the reliability and iDrive issuses- 2010 M5: everything goes through the iDrive. Multiple user settings for each user. It takes nearly an hour to program one users data for this fully optioned 5 series. Radio, cell phone, integration with home computer and calendar, mirrors, steering wheel, engine output, trans shift logic, suspension response, stability control, traction control, headsup display, night vision, 20 way seats, auto or manuel this and that. It all goes through iDrive and is user adjustable. Even torque management can be altered by those who really want to (like me). Now that its all set, you're ready.

Except with this particular BMW here's what happens. Randomly it will refuse to link with either my phone or my girlfriends (she usually drives it). About once every 3-4 months it will just completly delete all of that saved info and depending on its mood, either revert completly to its original factory settings or make up its own. This requires the entire initial set-up you do upon delivery. It may also decide to simply replace our settings with random ones of its own. It of coarse does this to both of our settings or sometimes just one. It will occasionally just decide on its own to unlock the doors as you come to a stop at a light. It may also lock its doors on its own while unloading leaving her on the outside and her purse, complete with door fob, on the inside. Last night she pulled it up to the Explorer so we could check and adjust the tire pressures. Half way through, engine off for 10 minutes, it suddenly decided to roll all the windows down and open the sunroof. Thats before we even start to talk about the real time traffic GPS. Not exactly a reliable computer.

The X5 had fewer of these problems but some. It did have several quality control issues- cup holders that fell off, loose interior trim panels in 2 years and completly shot CV boots, suspension bushings and front lower ball joints. In all fairness, it isn't really designed of off-roading. The 4WD is more of a glorified traction control that quickly fades and becomes useless under prolonged severe use (climbing a steap sand and gravel covered trail pulling a large boat). I'll stick with my body on frame Explorer with a true 4WD.

As for loaner cars, we do get them but only if the vehicle has to stay overnight. Lexus/Porsche/Aston Martin all provide them for anything. Even just an oil change. I wasn't really trying to compare the X5 to the Explorer. They are aimed at completly different markets. I was just trying to point out that in my experience, BMW is living on past glory from 20 years ago and has moved mainstream loosing much of its "specialness". Neither the X5 noe the new Explorer appeal to me as they are more crossover vehicles than true trucks. I'll stick with cars when I want them and trucks when I need one.

ive owned both brand new fords, and bmw's, and while bmw's are more chic, i have found that fords are easier to repair, and more reliable. bmw doesnt even know how to fix their own cars. and IMO, ive never been into "luxury" trucks anyway, kind of a oxy moron. my buddy spent 60 grand on an escalade, and everytime we go camping, we have to take my rigs because his truck is too pretty and couldnt hang where we go. if you want a luxury sedan, go BMW, but if you want a truck or an SUV, go ford. ive owned both, and you cant go wrong with the straight up utility and practicality of a ford truck or SUV. we are getting rid of our current MINI turbo S, and buying a jeep rubicon unlimited as soon as we get a chance. we are so done with dealing with BMW and their B.S. the next sport car or coupe we get wont be anything german, BMW and benz have already siphoned too much or our money with not enough results.

Back