• Register Today It's free!

Bob and weave....

DV8

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Grove, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
ok, i've never had a vehicle do this in my life, and i cant think of whats causing it. when driving relatively straight, everythings fine, but, when pulling out of my driveway, or a parking lot, it pulls to the direction i pull out.. so say i pull out of the parking lot where i work, i turn to the left. when i get straight with the road, its pulling to the left. i fight it to the right, then, all of a sudden, it jerks right, i correct, then everything is fine. straight as an arrow. i have noticed if i pull out to the right, it pulls harder, and really jumps left when i try to straighten it out. so bad in fact, that, if i'm not paying attention, it throws me into the other lane. :dunno: any ideas? 94 xlt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have noticed mine to do that a couple of time but only in really cold weather. idk why either. I did notice major improvement after i replacd my radius arm bushings tho.
There is a current thread floating around on an easy how to.

Might want to check alignment too....just a thought.

I'm siding with RoadRunner on this one - Tie Rods, and get it checked out quick! This is not something you want to wait around on.

Could anything in the front end, or a combination:

Ball joints, tie rods/drag link/etc..., radius arm bushings, alignment.

radius arm bushings are new. there is a little play in the the ball joints, but not enough to worry about right now. tierods are tight. but i did notice this after i posted yesterday, when i went to work, after i parked up, i decided to cycle the wheel lock to lock. i noticed a rough spot in the steering, so i had a friend of mine cycle the wheel while i watched everything. when you got the wheels almost straight, the front axle will 'jump' around between a quarter and half turn. axle u/j maybe? the funny thing about it is, it just started doin it all at once about a week ago.... drove it to work one day, it was fine. drove it home, and it started doin it.

Hi:

A u-joint will display the symptoms you describe. You can test this by engaging 4wd, jacking one wheel off the ground, and spinning the wheel in the original direction of travel. If the u-joint is bad then the wheel should be hard to spin.

Remember if you have auto locking hubs changing wheel rotation will unlock the hubs.

Trust that helps
PaMnd

yup. thats what it was. both wheel joints were so tight the only way i could move them was to stand on one end of the shaft and pull as hard as i could (without hurting myself) and then could barely get them to move. the inner joint on the passenger side was alright, no play, no tight spots, so i didnt change it.... after fighting to get the slip yoke back together, i didnt feel like attempting it. when i got the caps finally broke lose from the yokes and crosses, no needle bearings fell out... they were all rusted together. the grease worms attacked with a vengance! lol. thanks for all the help guys!

Hi:

Glad you got it fixed.

Thanks for the update
PaMnd

Back