• Register Today It's free!

body lift bushing

exploder1221

Reaction score
City, State
Corvallis, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
im putting a 3" body lift on my 91X and i was wondering how to get to the bushing and sleeve on the body mount behind the rear seats on the drivers side. it wouldnt be a problem but since i gotta drill holes throught the sleeves to allow the longer body mount bolts to fit through i wanted to know if i would have to take out the gas tank to get to the bushing/sleeve.
..and another question, for all the sleeves that dont come out once the mounting bolts come off, am i gunna have to drill through those sleeves from under the car? or is there a trick to getting those sleeves out so i can use a lathe instead of a fatty drill?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im putting a 3" body lift on my 91X and i was wondering how to get to the bushing and sleeve on the body mount behind the rear seats on the drivers side. it wouldnt be a problem but since i gotta drill holes throught the sleeves to allow the longer body mount bolts to fit through i wanted to know if i would have to take out the gas tank to get to the bushing/sleeve.
..and another question, for all the sleeves that dont come out once the mounting bolts come off, am i gunna have to drill through those sleeves from under the car? or is there a trick to getting those sleeves out so i can use a lathe instead of a fatty drill?

I just took the bolt out put the new mount in and added the longer bolt, no problemos. Didn't have to cut nothing, drop nothing, or use proper english. And you only have to drill out the front two mounts I believe, that's how it was on my kit.

Just use lots of PB Blaster. ;)

im pretty sure i have to drill on each one..what kit did you use, i got the P.A. one

im pretty sure i have to drill on each one..what kit did you use, i got the P.A. one
Yah i got the P.A. kit, you only have to drill out the front two sleves. It's because theres threads on the sleve and it won't let the bolt slide through, the new bolts screw in up top. Opposite way of all the others.

i had to drill out other mounts too.. should i just not put those sleeves back in and let the lift pucks rest on the body/frame by itself?

I put the new mounts on top of the old rubber mounts and just added the longer body bolts. I only had to drill the front two mounts however.

You only have to drill the front two mounts, if your drilling the other mounts then something is wrong or you've messed something up. I dropped the gas tank to get to the mount behind the drivers side rear seat but others have been able to reach in there without dropping the tank. When installed properly the body lift block should look like this:

Attachments

• 102108085537.jpg
    102108085537.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 529

I just cut the bolts on the front mounts, added a 1" hockey puck and then the blocks(then use the longer bolts supplied in the kit). Drilling the bolt out can be a real PITA. Heres a pic of my front mounts.
IMG_0561.jpg

The hockey puck makes up the difference for the sleeves that I took out. I have had this setup for a while now and no problems

in Canada we call the hockey pucks a Canadian Tire lift kit,, take out the bolts , put in hockey pucks, tighten longer bolts,
, away you go,,

Back