Body Lift install, and Q's | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body Lift install, and Q's

The spring doesnt get any more compressed than it did stock with the spacers. Sorry man. You arent changing the angle of the spring, the weight on it, or anything else. This doesnt hurt anything anymore than stock

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TheRookie said:
The spring doesnt get any more compressed than it did stock with the spacers. Sorry man. You arent changing the angle of the spring, the weight on it, or anything else. This doesnt hurt anything anymore than stock

Again your right, but only half right. When the suspension is completely compressed down to its bumpstops and a spacer is used, the spring is compressed more than it normally would.

You will never compress a stock spring to the bump stop. AND if you are worried about it then make new bump stops. THis really isnt a problem.

What it ultimately boils down to is he’s going to have to pay $170 for new springs + leafs...

If he were to find coil spacers for a decent price, as stated above, he’s still going to be spending $150 for everything

If it were me I'd go with new coils.

My alignment cost 40 bucks, but there was another 40 for the new camber adjusting things but I installed those before I went to save on some labor charges.

installing the camber bushings yourself is how you saved so much money. though 40 bucks is also an excelent price.

New coils or spacers is going to cost you a major alignment. You wont save anything by going with springs or spacers as far as the alignment

thanks, guess i brought up a hot topic, lol

You can get the camber shims from rockauto for about $14 each.

Lt.Jim said:
You can get the camber shims from rockauto for about $14 each.

Thats excelent info. Thanks, hopefully some people will see this and follow your sugestion

if you get the 3" body lift, dont you also need something for the steering, as well as maybe brake lines? I was told that anything more than 2" body lift in this gen explorer and you might as well get a suspension lift cause your gonna need so many extra little parts, as well does the 3" body lift your considering come with the bumper lifters? cause I also heard this can be a problem your bumper will be 3" off the body :thumbdwn:

The kit does come with brackets for both bumpers. Also a steering extension is included, this is for the PA kit, # 793. I've haven't heard of other stuff yet...

break lines will be fine mine were. if you want to do the body lift you will be fine its not that hard just alot of prep work to lift the body but other then that simple

c00l, :)

You dont need anything else other than what comes with the body lift. And though time consuming the body lift is not hard to install. brake lines will be fine, steering will need a small extension but its included. The bumper brackets are also included. This is not a big deal

The jack they mention, is this just a small bottle jack?

It can be but a floor jack is much better. A good floor jack will be around 100 bucks and indespensable in the future.

well, I'm at college and don't have a floor jack here, I'm not in the position to buy one either. Will it be that much of a pain with the bottle jack? I guess I can borrow one.

Borrow one. You will be glad you did. You could do it with the bottle jack i supose. Just make sure to put a long wood block between it and the body when you lift it up

I wish I would have seen this thread earlier, I'm local and looking to get rid of my bodylift (3") you can have mine if my sport and your ex is compadable. I'm in search of stock body mounts and bolts. SO?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont think theyre compatable, the Sport is listed as a different kit that costs more than twice as much also, so there must be a big difference, thanks for the offer though.

Back