• Register Today It's free!

body lift or strut spacers?

jdmitrswapped

Reaction score
City, State
albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited
My 2004 Limited AWD's tires are very old so i decided now's the time to have a little fun with aftermarket mods.

I have 265/75/16 tires on 0 offset wheels ordered. Now all i want is a mild lift by way of either strut spacers or body lift. Those are my two choices due to low cost but one seems to be a heavier investment in labor but that's ok if it clearly is the better choice than the other. I saw some of the how to's here and it seems body lifts take 8-12 hours?

I mostly drive around town but i'd like it to be capable of weekend fun keeping up with my bro's stock Jeep Rubicon. Just low and slow stuff. I don't want to break my daily driver.

I have been googling so much I decided to just ask if you guys can recommend a solid product to get a mild lift and the pro's and con's of choosing either spacer lift or body lift. Also a little detail in the install, labor and any specialty tools that it requires.

I have a small budget so everything must be DIY as possible. I'd like to keep it around $200

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been running the same size tire with truxx spacers on my 02 Mountaineer for awhile now with no problems.

My 2004 Limited AWD's tires are very old so i decided now's the time to have a little fun with aftermarket mods.

I have 265/75/16 tires on 0 offset wheels ordered. Now all i want is a mild lift by way of either strut spacers or body lift. Those are my two choices due to low cost but one seems to be a heavier investment in labor but that's ok if it clearly is the better choice than the other. I saw some of the how to's here and it seems body lifts take 8-12 hours?

I mostly drive around town but i'd like it to be capable of weekend fun keeping up with my bro's stock Jeep Rubicon. Just low and slow stuff. I don't want to break my daily driver.

I have been googling so much I decided to just ask if you guys can recommend a solid product to get a mild lift and the pro's and con's of choosing either spacer lift or body lift. Also a little detail in the install, labor and any specialty tools that it requires.

I have a small budget so everything must be DIY as possible. I'd like to keep it around $200

IMAG0428.jpg

Got the wheels on. 265/75r16 with zero offset wheels.

The strut spacer lift gives you additional ground clearance but it has other "hidden costs," such as getting an alignment after installation and accelerated wear/failure of the stock balljoints (requiring either regular replacement or avoiding it by purchasing/installing the BTF uniball upper control arms). It also decreases the range of motion of your suspension, meaning your already limited suspension articulation is limited even more.

The body lift does not give additional ground clearance between the frame and ground, but it's cheap, it won't require an alignment, and does not add any extra stress on the front upper balljoints like the strut spacer lift. Since you aren't touching the suspension, you retain the stock suspension articulation. Downside is the install time and effort, but you only have to do it once.

With the body lift you have the 1.5" and 3" options. Might as well go 3" in my opinion but for around $50 the 1.5" lift is a good mod and even simpler than the 3" since you don't have to worry about front bumper brackets, steering shaft extension, and dealing with the rear bumper. I've seen what a 1.5" body lifted 2005 explorer with 265/75/16s can handle offroad with a skilled driver, and walked away impressed. But if it were me, I'd do the 3" since I did the 1.5" on my old truck first and felt it wasn't tall enough so I took it out and did the 3".

Bottom line, the body lift will fit your stated budget no problem. The body lift sticky thread has all the info you need on the install. You can do it by yourself but it will go faster with a couple of handy friends. Make sure you disconnect the steering shaft before raising the body off the frame.

Ronin8002, thanks for that response. I don't want to limit my suspension travel so I'm going go with a 3 inch body lift one of these weekends.

Ronin8002, thanks for that response. I don't want to limit my suspension travel so I'm going go with a 3 inch body lift one of these weekends.

Good call. The summit racing version of the PA-883 body lift kit is cheaper and the same exact thing as the PA kit. Part number is SUM 788300.

If you have any questions during the lift just post up in the 3" body lift sticky thread.

Good call. The summit racing version of the PA-883 body lift kit is cheaper and the same exact thing as the PA kit. Part number is SUM 788300.

If you have any questions during the lift just post up in the 3" body lift sticky thread.

thanks! that's exactly the info i need. I will look for that kit.

I forgot an "8". It's 7888300

Oh yeah I figured it out last night. I'm ready to order but does that kit have everything I need for a 3" lift? Do I need anything for he steering ?

Ronin your rig is dope, I just went through your thread. Very clean!!

Back