• Register Today It's free!

Body lift or Suspension lift?

Nuetral

Reaction score
City, State
Estevan, Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Ok i want to raise my Explorer abit. But i read bad things about body lifts and good things. All i really want is it to "look" better so i was thinking a 3" body lift would help it perfectly. Or should i just pay the extra money and get myself a suspension lift?

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can get 3 free tires and they are 33's i believe.
I do abit of off roading mudding and mild climbing.
Well it would be as cheap as i can get it but not buying something thats total crap.

With 33s, you will have to do some trimming to the front fenders and hammering to the firewall for them to fit without rubbing too much, but they will fit. Also with 33s, you're going to want to re-gear to save wear and tear on your driveline.

Find out what gear ratio you have stock here, from the sticker on your door, and let us know. If you're lucky and already have 4.10s you won't need to re-gear, but if it's lower, than it would be recommended that you do. Some people don't and say it's fine, but thats because they haven't re-geared and don't know the difference it really makes.

Suspenion lifts are easier and more effective.

With any body lift you have to drop the gas tank and hope your bolts are in good enough shape to remove easily.

Not to mention they leave gaps every were

you do not have to drop the tank,you might have to add fuel line, and filler neck hoes extension in.Steering linkange extension and or transmisson linkage extension.but a body lift woulnt take you 3 hours if you have a buddy or two to help.Key word is buy the beer, and enuff beer before they get there.

You tire width and size will determine if you have to trim.i would say go with 32x11.5 on stock rims no rubbing considering your front shocks arent worn.if you go full 33's,just hit the jy and buy some 93 2wd f150 coil spacers, and a good set of shackels.

i priced the spacer's at the jy yesterday and i get 50% off,they are only 10 bucks.the shackel i picked up from advanced auto for 15.00, but i have to add a support bar...inbetween each shackel.

you do not have to drop the tank,you might have to add fuel line, and filler neck hoes extension in.Steering linkange extension and or transmisson linkage extension.but a body lift woulnt take you 3 hours if you have a buddy or two to help.Key word is buy the beer, and enuff beer before they get there.

3 hours!!! Are you crazy. I thought it was like 6-8? 3 seems more reasonable to me. I just can't see how it would take all day to remove some bolts?

3 hours!!! Are you crazy. I thought it was like 6-8? 3 seems more reasonable to me. I just can't see how it would take all day to remove some bolts?

You have to remember that those bolts have been there for 16 years. Enduring all that road grime and rust the whole time. I think it took me about 4 hours to take out the 2 front core support bolts to install my body lift.

just for the front 2! It took 4 hrs?

Yep. And 2 cans of PB Blaster, 3 sawzall blades, 1 broken socket and some help from the oxy-acetylene torch.

holy crap!
Mine isn't rusted though/

I didn't think mine were that bad either.

you can never really giv an accurate idea of how much time it will take to do anything..however i kno my body mounts were tougether than my suspension when i did them. and suspension is easier to get to to cut torch or grind out. bottom line.. suspension is a much better way to go in general, the difference in the money and cosmetic factor. decide whats most important

you can never really giv an accurate idea of how much time it will take to do anything..however i kno my body mounts were tougether than my suspension when i did them. and suspension is easier to get to to cut torch or grind out. bottom line.. suspension is a much better way to go in general, the difference in the money and cosmetic factor. decide whats most important

Being in college, $$$ is my big deal.

my body lift was a 2 day ordeal with the issues of the bumper lift not fitting, most of the bolts were the wrong size, and I did it mostly by myself. these issues are common with my X as I had use use a ranger kit.

my body lift was a 2 day ordeal with the issues of the bumper lift not fitting, most of the bolts were the wrong size, and I did it mostly by myself. these issues are common with my X as I had use use a ranger kit.

How much of a BL did you do? Why did you HAVE to use a ranger kit?

Ok i want to raise my Explorer abit. But i read bad things about body lifts and good things. All i really want is it to "look" better so i was thinking a 3" body lift would help it perfectly. Or should i just pay the extra money and get myself a suspension lift?

Thank you.

Do both. If you want a really cool "look", do your 3 inch body lift (or pay someone to do it for you...) and add a quick 2 inch shackle lift in the back (like $25 for universals) and do the F150 spacer install in the front ($20 from your local wreckers). And top it all off with a $60 alignment.

Just my 2 cents.

Here are some links for your info... or do your own searching. But it is an awesome look for a very affordable price.

Dead Link Removed

Shackle Install with pics...
Dead Link Removed

F150 Spacer Install with pics...

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/factoryspacer.htm

How much of a BL did you do? Why did you HAVE to use a ranger kit?

3 inches and I had to because they don't make body lifts for my generation of explorer.

yeah..if money is your biggest problem!.. do the body lift. you can always take it off.. for 33s ur gunna need t go w/ the 3in BL and may even need to do some trimming..however! i agree w/ kslhol on that you should pickup from coil seats from the yard and get some cheapo shackles from an autoparts store. you could do a relatively "big" lift for a very low cost!! and you would not be left to do any cuttin most likely.

2 things:
1.) the alignment, you can live w/ and just reduce driving frequency as to not wear tires down too bad
2.) if you do cheapo shackles.. please do weld in a brace for them because they are too weak w/out one. or get warrior shackles! (1.5in lift)

EDIT: typos

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah..if money is your biggest problem!.. do the body lift. you can always take it off.. for 33s ur gunna need t go w/ the 3in BL and may even need to do some trimming..however! i agree w/ kslhol on that you should pickup from coil seats from the yard and get some cheapo shackles from an autoparts store. you could do a relatively "big" lift for a very low cost!! and you would not be left to do any cuttin most likely.

2 things:
1.) the alignment, you can live w/ and just reduce driving frequency as to not wear tires down too bad
2.) if you do cheapo shackles.. please do weld in a brace for them because they are too weak w/out one. or get warrior shackles! (1.5in lift)

EDIT: typos

I wouldn't recommend driving hardly at all without getting an alignment. Not bad at first, but once you do get the alignment, you can actually pull out of alignment if the tires are screwed up bad. You should be ok if you drive a little.

Back