Body lift or Suspension lift? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body lift or Suspension lift?

kslhol, I love your setup and that's exactly what I am going to do, the shackles/spacers and a the 3" body lift. I don't do any off-roading so it will be fine for me. Relatively cheap for a 5" lift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

kslhol, I love your setup and that's exactly what I am going to do, the shackles/spacers and a the 3" body lift. I don't do any off-roading so it will be fine for me. Relatively cheap for a 5" lift.

Yup, you really can't go wrong with that kind of lift. It's an easy start, and if you ever feel the need to go more heavy duty, you don't have to feel bad that you wasted a lot of cash on the first lift.

The latest edition of fourwheeler magazine addresses the body vs suspension lift in a letter. The just of it is that a body lift is bad because it allows the frame to flex because of the leverage that the body lift creates.

good god man it's 5:32 in the morning! What are you doing up?

The latest edition of fourwheeler magazine addresses the body vs suspension lift in a letter. The just of it is that a body lift is bad because it allows the frame to flex because of the leverage that the body lift creates.

Also depends on weight(size) of vehicle I am told. No one had a problem selling me a body lift for my Explorer, but when I wanted to do the same type of lift on my Expedition, no one would touch it with a ten foot pole.

Even the 4x4 shops talked me out of it saying they had seen to many fails on the big heavy SUV's with pieces coming up through the floor, :eek: while the f150's and smaller SUV's did not have same issues. So I just did TT and rear coil spacers instead.

This may or may not be true. I'm just sayin....

But I have never heard of anyone having body lift issues on an Explorer. Seems like 75% of the lifted Ex's on this site have a BL. if you are just going for a quick lift for looks or to fit some bigger tires on, it is great. If you plan on doing a bunch of off road stuff, go suspension. Do yer research...

Back