Body Lift Steering Shaft help?

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
i just put on a 3" body lift and i did put the extension on it but its binding when i turn left and right.should i take the extension off and try it?does anyone make an aftermarket shaft that isnt super pricey?the rubber bushing has a crack in it so i need to replace that if i dont get an aftermarket shaft,anyone know where to get that at?also it looks like the seal in the gear box is leaking now because of the extreme angle,is there a way to tilt the gear box,or can i notch out the bolts holes in the frame?is there a thread on how to replace the seals in a gear box?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so the aftermarket one is way too much!!any ideas on how to fix the extreme angles of a stock one?looks like i need to start by pulling the extension out?

I made mine. but it too needs some modifications to it.

DSCN2172.jpg

this is what I made and the extention that came with my kit. my kit was for an f-150 so it not the right one.

DSCN2173.jpg

DSCN2174.jpg

and this is how it looks in the truck

I didnt use the extension and mine worked fine. No binding or any leaks or anything like that. Thats why the extension was brand new never used. lol

Id try it without it first.

Thats a totally different set up than a first gen.anyone even notch the frame or firewall

I didnt use the extension and mine worked fine. No binding or any leaks or anything like that. Thats why the extension was brand new never used. lol

Id try it without it first.

Yea i tried to put it on without it but looked like it wouldnt fit but then again i didnt try real hard! The rag joint is cracked so that needs to be replaced and the gear box is definitely leaking at the seal where the shaft goes in.

The instructions that came with my 3" BL from Performance Accessories has a "Steering bind fix" section on page 6. The instructions are as follows:

A.) Locate mounting flange for steering column under dash.

B.) Unbolt flange from firewall.

C.) Drill out holes in flange toward top as far as possible.

D.) Pull steering column down as far as possible.

E.) Reinstall all bolts and tighten.

I have not needed to do this since I don't have binding so I can't say how well this works or how difficult it might be but it doesn't sound too hard.

Hope this helps!

Thats a big help if it works,thank you!!mine does not have that page

Ok checked it out and thats going to be a hell of a job!! One it would need to be lowered where it mounts in the dash then the plate on both side of the firewall would need to come off. Then the holes in the firewall would need to be notched.you cant really get a drill in there for starters and second the plate on the firewall in the engine compartment is glued or sealed to the firewall!!

ok i fixed it!!for starters mine would not fit at all with out the extension on it so this was done with it on there.i unbolted the plate inside the cab,5 10mm bolts then the clamp around the steering shaft,1/2 bolt.slide the plate up the shaft as high as it would go.next i took a tie down strap and wrapped it around the shaft in the engine compartment and pull it up as high as it would go hooking it to the hood.next i went in the cab and took a dremel and grind the bottom of the opening about a 1/4.it would all ready drop down a 1/4 from where it was mounted to begin with. i then took the strap off and restraped it to the frame so it was being pulled down as much as it could,i also pulled it towards the passenger side a little as it looked like it centered up better there.last i moved the plate back down and re drilled new holes into the firewall and put sheet metal screws into it,only could get 4 in as the top one didnt have anything to drill into.it now works just fine no binding at all,1/2 down and a 1/4 over!!
this is not where the shaft sit at final just out the way for the pic.you can see the new holes drilled and where i grinded some metal
28rnl9y.jpg

you can see where the new screws come though in this pic
1563bz8.jpg

you could mount it way lower but a 1/2 at firewall ended up being about an inch drop at the joint for me,i should have taken a before pic but its way lower and way straighter.
140ci1c.jpg

The instructions that came with my 3" BL from Performance Accessories has a "Steering bind fix" section on page 6. The instructions are as follows:

A.) Locate mounting flange for steering column under dash.

B.) Unbolt flange from firewall.

C.) Drill out holes in flange toward top as far as possible.

D.) Pull steering column down as far as possible.

E.) Reinstall all bolts and tighten.

I have not needed to do this since I don't have binding so I can't say how well this works or how difficult it might be but it doesn't sound too hard.

Hope this helps!
this way you only gain a 1/4 maybe enough for some but i needed more and there wasnt enough metal to drill out and use the stock bolts and holes

Wow great job, looks nice and straight now. Thanks for the write up and pics.

You steering shaft is totally different from mine. Thats probably why yours is different. Min doesnt have the rag joint at the top. It has a u joint like a axle or driveshaft.

You steering shaft is totally different from mine. Thats probably why yours is different. Min doesnt have the rag joint at the top. It has a u joint like a axle or driveshaft.

Is that stock?you got a pic?

Huh is the bottom a rag joint?i wonder if it will fit on mine.both my rags are shot!

Not sure. Never really looked, its under a plastic cover. Ill check it out tomorrow. I would think it would work but never done it. lol

Hey you had time to check yet?also can you mybe get a measurement from the top bolt to the lower point where it goes in the box? Basically the shaft length?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back