• Register Today It's free!

Body Lift vs. Suspension Lift

Skippman

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Navajo
Ok guys, time to ask a loaded question again.
I'm from the Jeep world, a body lift on a Jeep would likely invoke shunning from your fellow Jeepers. Now I have changed religions. I'm currently the proud owner of a 93 "Not-A-Ho". I'm wanting to give it a lift job but am at a loss as to weather a body lift or a suspension lift would be better.

I know from an economic sense there is no comparison. I can have a 3" Body lift installed and purchased for less than the cost of a 3" suspension lift alone. However, it begs the question "Price vs. Performance?"

I dont want to spend less now to be disgruntled later so if you guys know somthing I dont feel free to let me know. Also, with a 3" lift what size tire's can I expect to be able to fit on it? Thanks.

------------------
93' Mazda Navajo
BF-Goodrich Trail T/A's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Skip - check out my pics at http://dweeb.lbl.gov/~tdavis/pics

It's a 93 Navajo, modified with 5.5" superlift/superrunner/superrunner steering, 33x12.5" tires, body from other things.. :)

Everyone who sees it comments on how great it look (used to..)

------------------
Thomas Davis
93 Mazda Navajo/5.5" superlift, 33x12.5 BFG AT/KO
4.56 gears/lockright/auburn pro

Welcome Skippman -

I'm sure you know, as with your Jeep, a body lift on any vehicle will not give you the articulation like a suspension lift.

If you're considering building up your Navajo for extreme wheeling, I'm sure others will agree with me in saying that money well spent on a good suspension lift is better than spending some money on a body lift.

Check out some of the lift kits on some of the vehicles on this site. I just went wheeling with some Bay Area Explorer owners and one of them (Tom) has a Navajo with a 5.5 Superlift, 4.56, and 33" tires. I'm sure you could ask Tom more information on his build up.

Others have the James Duff (2.5"), Rancho (2.5" - mine), Trailmaster (4"), Superlift (4" & 5.5"), and custom +8". It's up to your style of wheeling and your wallet size on the type of lift kit.

Check out the feature Explorers for more information on the Home Page.

------------------
'91 4-DR EB
San Jose, CA
2.5" Rancho, RS 9000, 32" BFG AT KO

Skipmann,
Check out Mac's reply in the other 'body lift' post.
In SOME cases the 3" body lift has some fairly significant hidden costs, Im just to lazy to rant on this one again, as Ive posted a half dozen times on how crappy the components that come with body lifts are designed.
Good luck,
Doug

Back