• Register Today It's free!

Body lift vs suspension lift...

dacaur2

Reaction score
City, State
eagle mountain
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 explorer XLT
OK, so I am seriously considering a 3" body lift. I need some sort of lift to accommodate some 265/70/17 tires (32").
I already have the tires, so thats the only part thats set in stone, I bought them for my jeep, which I had to sell, ( had to sell one, and it made the most sense to keep the explorer but since the tires only had about 1000 miles on them, I kept them and my explorer needs new tires.

Its a 2010 XLT v6.

So I was first going to go with a 2.5/2" strut spacer lift, but I read something about rear camber eating up my new tires, they are BFG T/A KO2's. If I go this route, I know it would be ideal to get the adjustable upper control arms too, but that wouldn't be for a while.

The other option is the 883 3" body lift. Although this option costs more and would take longer to install, its attractive because it leaves the suspension alone so no worries about alignment or bad camber eating my tires.

So, lets hear some opinions/experiences please. If the camber thing is a non-issue then the suspension lift starts to look good again...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do understand what is avalable out there.... I am more interested in opinions on body vs suspension lift....
From everything I have read, a suspension lift on this truck really has zero advantage over a body lift, You are gaining lift at the expense of droop, which means on road manners suffer, and has the downside of killing upper ball joints and bad camber unless you spend another $625 on aftermarket control arms....
:feedback:

Its funny. When you do a search and reply to the old threads, people whine at you for resurrecting a years old thread, but if you start a new thread, people tell you you should have searched....;)

Honestly id suggest trying to fit them prior to any lift at all. I am running 265/65r17 tires without any issue whatsoever. Dont know what wheel you are going to run, but i am running a 17x8 et30 mustang wheel.

Thats kind of what I was thinking I would do. Looking and measuring, it seems that they should fit and be ok at least on the street.... I am planning to run some 17" wheels of a 2010 Eddie bauer. (17x7.5 I belive, mine are 16x7 now)
I do like to go off road though and drive a bit faster than I should on dirt roads, so I think I will try to get a body lift in this spring before we start doing stuff like that....

Thanks for the reply.

Back