Body Lifts....?!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body Lifts....?!?

96limitedX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
ok..so today i ordered my PA 2" explorer lift that im going to put on my 96 limited(allredy lifted 1.5-2"). then i posted it on another site. and got some crap from them :mad: . so i have a ?

for us 4x4 95-01 guys...how else are we supposed to get more lift after doing the TT/shackles? :confused: i mean the only other option out there is the super lift or the trail master. and im sure they are great lifts. but i have no way to dish out over $1000 for a lift :eek: . i mean i just dont have that kind of money to blow like that ;) . so my ? is what is your feeling on Bls? pros and cons..ect

my truck is pretty much just going to be on the street. little bit of off roading..but its going to be about 98% on the street. i mean so what else can am i supposed to do? i want another 2" of lift..and for $100 how can i beat that..you know once i get the BL on there i think im going bring the torsion bars back to stock..cause i want that nice ride back.

anyway just whats your feelings on body lifts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jimabena74 said:
ok, you have been here long enough, and posted enough pictures to KNOW TO
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!

this has nothing to do with facts and info

i want peoples opinions...damn try reading next time..

96limitedX said:
this has nothing to do with facts and info
i want peoples opinions...damn try reading next time..
yes it does this info has been covered several times, and that is fact.....

I WANT DAMN OPINONS.....

i have searched an all i found was "will a ranger one fit" "do i have to make bumper brackets"

i dont want any of that crap..

i wanna know what people think of them...and there opinions on them...damn

My opinion....
I don't really like the look of them on most trucks. If a truck has a BL, I think it looks like crap unless they move up the bumpers, hitch, exhaust, steps (if on the frame), etc. I don't like that you can't use a Hurst shifter :)D) with them unless you modify it.

The two things I like about a BL are: cheap and easier to swap in big motors. :thumbsup:

here is an opinion almighty non-elite: everyone on the site hates them, even the hundreds of people on here that have one including myself hate them...... :rolleyes:

bmxking5 said:
My opinion....
I don't really like the look of them on most trucks. If a truck has a BL, I think it looks like crap unless they move up the bumpers, hitch, exhaust, steps (if on the frame), etc. I don't like that you can't use a Hurst shifter :)D) with them unless you modify it.

The two things I like about a BL are: cheap and easier to swap in big motors. :thumbsup:

thank you for your worthwhile input!!! :D

the bumpers will be moved.the safari bar will be moved. the tail pipe will be moved. and my step bars are bolted to the body...so im pretty much covered? haha :p

O yeah, one more thing. :D It needs to have the gap guards (mainly trucks) so there isn't a giant gap that looks bad IMO. Also, it looks really good to use the pond liner stuff in the front, to kind of hide things in the front.

There...if you do those things, a body lift would look good on yours. :D I personally think those 31s should be on your dad's (and not bought 31s for his) and put on some 32s on your truck. :D

bmxking5 said:
O yeah, one more thing. :D It needs to have the gap guards (mainly trucks) so there isn't a giant gap that looks bad IMO. Also, it looks really good to use the pond liner stuff in the front, to kind of hide things in the front.

There...if you do those things, a body lift would look good on yours. :D I personally think those 31s should be on your dad's (and not bought 31s for his) and put on some 32s on your truck. :D

the 31s on my dads where free :p

yes i also have gap gaurds planed :D ..everything you said is why i held off so long from getting one ;) ..but its all fixable things..so i think its the way to go.

and i dont want to go up to 32s due to power loss..i can sqeel the 31s i have now..and its "decently" quick..so i want to keep it that way.

and i think im going to lower the torsion bars down after the BL so i get my nice ride back :D

Here is my opinion on my body lift after running it with it for a season....................
Why did I waste that money again????????

Pros;
Cheap
bigger tires
easy to change spark plugs

Cons:
tight steering
exposed frame rails
no added ground clearance
engine sits 3" lower in the body
hitch sits too low
shackles are way to exposed
bumper brackets were a *****
e-brake line and shift linkage are on a slight bind
no more under vehicle tire storage (if they were small enough)
gas filler lines are at an odd angle making fill up interesting

hmmm I am sure I can add a couple more things but you get the idea. I will be very happy to rip the BL out when I swap the axle out.........

I've had my BL on for over three years, I think. It's been all fine and dandy only until recently. The only real problem I had with it was getting the steering shaft to work with the Torque Monster headers. Sure, it's ugly and exposes a lot of parts on the truck you don't really want showing. But theres not much you can do. It's either that, a suspension kit, or stock.

Another couple Pros are removing transmissions and installing o2 sensors are much easier. :D

Body lift Or Not

I have a 1998 XLT with a 3 inch body lift and would not have it any other way. The Explorer stock height is pathetic for a 4wd vehicle. The steering extension was easy to install, did not bind, and was not even noticeable at all. I am right hand drive and imagine that I have a slighly different setup which may be why I had no problems with it. Going Bush is a thousand times more enjoyable, and crossing rivers you feel a lot better knowing the air intake is just a bit higher than it used to be. The tryes I got were only 265/75R16's as that is the largest legal size in OZ for tyres on an explorer and that leaves heaps of room for any tyre travel. The view is certainly nicer up high and have experieced no body roll because of the lift.

The only down side I can see is that I didnt do it sooner.

Dead Link Removed

BODY LIFTS RULE!!!!!

Body lifts suck.

bODY LIFTS

LIKE-I.jpg

BODY.jpg

j602 said:
Body lifts suck.

i agreed at one time..but i really dont have many other choices..oh well..if i dont like it i can allways take it off. but i think im going to like having a smoother ride(lowering the TT back to stock) and still haveing it lifted :D

anymore experances would be great to hear..thanks guys..its intersting to hear this.

PROS; Needed it for ease of installation of enginge,headers and tranny for my engine swap in the B11.
CONS; Rasies COG, I went thru a lot of work on that B11 to keep the cog low. literaly removed 1oos of pounds of metal, plastic, seats, carpet and glass. Not to mention relocating things lower in the truck like batteris etc. I did add new stiffer body mounts to try to eliminate roll. It is against the laws of phiysic to say a lifted truck does not want to lean more going around turns.

Yikes you guys have scared me into putting a BL on my mountaineer. But I guess I can always try it and not worry. Chris is my main man. He has been guiding me through the process the whole way and we will have to see if Yoda is correct on his claim that BL rule.

Its probably easier to install a suspention lift over a body lift

Body lifts can be dangrous, as far as the steering charateristics.

but it makes cleaning the underbody easier =)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back